Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 11-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #51
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
So, I went to Island yesterday. The place was PACKED!!! I used the HP Tuners package to raise the speed limiter and raise the RPM limiter. That worked fine, the car ran the index again at just under 87 MPH which I was quite happy with as the air was about 1000' worse than the last time I was there ( almost 80* in NJ in November! Ya gotta love global warming!).
After using the HP tuners deal, I have definitely come to one conclusion, giving me a laptop and a programmer is like giving a chimp a thermo-nuclear device. If anybody out there has ANY experience with this stuff, I wouldn't say no to some advice. Thanks in advance.
Are you able to data log with that hp tuners
Old 11-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #52
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 621 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
After using the HP tuners deal, I have definitely come to one conclusion, giving me a laptop and a programmer is like giving a chimp a thermo-nuclear device. If anybody out there has ANY experience with this stuff, I wouldn't say no to some advice. Thanks in advance.
The HP Tuners data logging program "VCM Scanner" is one of the best. Even if tuning with other brands of flashware I use the HP Tuners to collect data. If you want to spend some money I would suggest buying one of lessons from The Tuning School.
They do a very good job of step by step hand holding and basic explanation of the HP Tuners Software and how to use it.
If you don't want to spend the $$ then I suggest that you spend some time in your driveway playing with the program.
I can answer most questions.

I will post up a sample log later.

Robin
Old 11-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #53
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

I second "The Tuning School" Bob Morreale does a great job. Get a wideband and go to work on fueling and timing. If you have access to a chassis dyno you will learn quickly. Look for anything that will restrict timing like coolant temp or inlet air temp, those will greatly affect consistency.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheTuningSchool/videos
Old 11-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #54
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Just a really quick update, I went to Cecil Co. yesterday. Thanks to Doug Hoven who got the data logger working I have some data. Other than the original 120K mile spark plugs getting changed there's nothing else different. Place was packed and I only got 3 runs. 15.33, 15.40, 15.37 all over 88 MPH and the .33, 88.5 MPH. I can't wait till next week to try changing a couple of things!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #55
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Just a really quick update, I went to Cecil Co. yesterday. Thanks to Doug Hoven who got the data logger working I have some data. Other than the original 120K mile spark plugs getting changed there's nothing else different. Place was packed and I only got 3 runs. 15.33, 15.40, 15.37 all over 88 MPH and the .33, 88.5 MPH. I can't wait till next week to try changing a couple of things!
Great on data...........can we see it.........or is it top secret
Old 11-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #56
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Great on data...........can we see it.........or is it top secret
Glenn, I can't even figure out why I suddenly can't post pictures anymore. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong. Post data? I'm slowly learning how to review the data that's on the laptop let alone learning how to forward it or post it. Remember what you're dealing with here. Think monkey pounding on a piano.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 11-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #57
Billy Nees
VIP Member

I went to Island yesterday. For those who don't know, Island is a good track that can be fast but it's nowhere near the "ego massage" that Cecil is.
To get started, I would like to (again) thank Doug Hoven for all of the help that he has given me and for being patient enough to try and teach "an old dog new tricks".
I got 6 runs in as the track wasn't all that crowded but by afternoon, the weather was threatening. Because of that, I didn't take the time to let the car cool off between runs (roughly 140* vs. 180*) which, so far seems to be worth about a tenth.
On the first pass, the car went a 15.73 @ 85.37 in the same state of tune that it was in when it went a 15.73 @ 85.71 a few weeks ago.
So far, this thing has been running with about +/- 18* of TOTAL advance in it and an O2 voltage of +/-12.4.
The second pass, I (Doug) added 4* of timing and it ran ----- the same thing. More Nannys need to be changed.
Third pass, 15.68 @ 85.86 and it's now -------- spinning the tires.
Fourth pass, 2* more timing and 15.53 @ 86.14 and this thing is really starting to feel and sound good!
Fifth pass, changed all of the timing Nannys to a "locked" 29* total. I can now get almost 3000 RPM out of the converter on the brake and it -------- wheel hopped and spun like crazy.
Last pass, I went back to my 2200 RPM launch and went a 15.48 @ 85.97 with some slight wheel spin but with a best ever 2.14 60'.
As I've been adding timing, the O2 voltage has been creeping down into the mid 11s which I'm going to guess is some kind of "self preservation" thing.
From what little I know of O2 values, I am going to guess that this thing is rich and getting richer as I raise the timing. I don't know how to change the mixture yet but I'm hoping to get out once or twice more but that is looking doubtful at this point.
I just can't get over how this car responds to the simplest things. It has a great sound to it now and I can't wait to see and hear how it responds to a header and more tuning!
There is no longer ANY doubt in my mind that this combo is a fine way to go Stock Eliminator racing on a tight budget!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #58
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Since you are using the HP tuners outfit, are you still clearing the engine management system between rounds?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #59
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTNDN View Post
Since you are using the HP tuners outfit, are you still clearing the engine management system between rounds?
Yup.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 11-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #60
nickh

Liked 211 Times in 92 Posts

Billy great following this thread, will throw a prediction out there once you bolt on the header and tinker with the timing again, my guess in good air 15.35 88 mph.
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote