HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #2411
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Well, got the car completed in time for the Mopar show in Farmington last weekend, but, not without some major last minute thrashing = major oil leak from external oil line on pan. I'm still recovering from sleep depervation. Just getting too old for this I quess.
I was able to take it out a couple times durring the weekend for some serious part throttle blasts. Result------- Holy **** Man !!!!!!!!! I think I got Don Grotheer's attention who happened to be in the right seat on one of those "test sessions". After we got back he suggested I install a head restraint on the passenger side.This car is a lil' more than just shiney paint. It runs HARD

liteweight

the first ride with my new engine combination & original old school early 70's Keystones.

The build tour will continue

Last edited by Liteweight; 06-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #2412
Liteweight
VIP Member

Since Dave's (marfen) car has now made it's public debut I'm going to attach a couple pictures of it. Pictures just don't do this car justice. You gotta see it in person, specially in the sunlight. The lettering is done with real goldleaf

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 06-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2413
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Liking those Keystones!!!!!!!!

One day I hope I am sharing the same real estate as you and the Dart.

Would love to see it first hand.

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #2414
Liteweight
VIP Member

Charlie
Not much of a chance of me getting down to your end of the country, but, I'm planning on attending the All Hemi Reunion in Hamilton, Ohio Aug.23-24 with the car. Kinda think it's about halfway, real estate wise, between you & me. This car has been known to have made a few beer runs over the years, so, I don't need much convincing to drive it. I'm puttin this on the table for YOU Charlie. You show up there, you got a ride. How's that for dangling the perverbial carrot in front of your nose??.

liteweight
Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #2415
Charlie A
VIP Member

Lookin' for my bottle of nitro pills !!!!!!!!

Twins are spending the summer lining up for first year of college.
Just MIGHT be able to make this work.

Google says 799 miles!

That carrot..........killing me.

Last edited by Charlie A; 06-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2416
Liteweight
VIP Member

No need for the nitro pills. Think it'll give you a pretty good jump start!!!! lol

The build tour continues:
Valve train is DLI roller,camshaft is a Crower roller @ .705" delivered. Hemi valve trains have a HUGE amount of deflection due to their design characteristics, so I reverse "engineered" the camsahft profile by getting the amount of lift loss @ the valve, then adding that amount to the custom order lobe profile.
I measured amount of loss with different rocker arms from stock, Indy's, & Stage V's. The DLI's were the happy medium for the value. Jesel, or Ray Barton's pedistal system are probably the best system out there, but just not required for my application, price wise
It has Manton pushrods & adjusters

liteweight

Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #2417
Charlie A
VIP Member

I don't believe the last operating room I was in was that clean!

The surgeon is at work.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #2418
Liteweight
VIP Member

The valve covers I'm using on this motor are the only set I've ever seen. They are original Chrysler Nascar stampings, but what sets them apart from other Nascar covers is the valve train humps, both intake & exhaust sides.
Whenever you use large diameter springs with tall installed spring heights there is interference issues with the covers. The common solution is to bump out the covers with a ball peen hammer to get the clearance you need. These particular covers have those clearance humps, but they're not massaged with a ball peen. They are actually stamped this way. They also have adjuster reliefs on the internal baffling for large lift cams.
They came from Bob Lambecks collection of parts probably from when he was teamed with Landy. They were in pretty tough shape when I got them & needed alot of hours of repair to get them to what they are today. I also removed the tall breather stands that were located in the center of them & relocated shorter tubes in the fronts for drag racing use. I wanted to chrome the covers, but the metal work would have shown, so, instead I had them powder coated in aluminum, then clear coated. I think I prefer this look rather than chrome now
The breathers are machined billet that a buddy lathed out for me, & are hooked to a pan evac. system on the header collectors

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 06-18-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #2419
JCShiels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Daryl, thanks for the photos and the education!
JCShiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2420
Liteweight
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCShiels View Post
Daryl, thanks for the photos and the education!
My pleasure Jim. I'm doing this "tour" for that exact reason. After the build tour, I think I'll take a bunch of pictures of my car that will show the differences from a production Dart compared to a Hurst built LO Dart.

liteweight