HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #1
Greg Gay

Liked 224 Times in 49 Posts
Default Anode

I'm trying to protect the cooling system while running water only. Do anodes work? Do the radiator hoses "insulate" the system such that you need an anode in block and another in radiator? Other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Greg
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Anode

"Bad stuff" in the water will break down the metals in the engine and cooling system. Think rust. Bad stuff attacks the weakest metal around first. An anode is just a stick of metal that is chemically weaker than anything else around so the anode is broken down and not so much the motor metals. I think it's usually magnesium. Since it's the water that carries the bad stuff, I don't think a neutral thing like a rubber hose would insulate anything.
I did not run one last season and got a lot of rusty water out of my Dart SHP. Distilled water only.

Someone correct me on the chemistry here.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Two completely different issues....

Rust is Iron Oxide (FE2O3) and is caused by Iron coming into contact with oxygen......

Adding a rust inhibitor and preventing air from contacting the cast iron, such as a coolant recovery system would help, but we dump the water to save the head gaskets and leave the block to air dry and that causes rust.

Galvanic Reaction is when 2 dissimilar metals are in contact in an electrolyte (water)...

The liquid allows the transfer of metal from the most active metal to the least active metal....

Copper radiator and cast iron block, using a zinc or aluminum sacrificial anode would work to save the radiator.

Aluminum heads, intake or radiator on a cast iron block would require a magnesium sacrificial anode to save the aluminum.

That's why they bolt "zincs" to the hulls of ships to save the bronze propellers and the hull...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
ken robinson

Liked 164 Times in 69 Posts

Greg , jegs sales a radiator drain plug which has an anode in it . Its in my alum radiator .
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
Greg Gay

Liked 224 Times in 49 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I have ordered both a zinc and magnesium anode; one for the radiator and one for the block. We'll see who they work out.

Greg
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote