HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Troy Pourciau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What caused V. Gaines to crash @ Carolina Nats?

I saw interview with G. Anderson right before VG crash. Greg said like banana peels on the track? Saw people holding pieces of the racetrack.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What caused V. Gaines to crash @ Carolina Nats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Pourciau View Post
I saw interview with G. Anderson right before VG crash. Greg said like banana peels on the track? Saw people holding pieces of the racetrack.
That would be my guess since all of the pro stock guys refused to run and went back to their pit area
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't they just put more wing into it? I've seen faster cars go down slick tracks.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
rickseeman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry 6674 View Post
Can't they just put more wing into it? I've seen faster cars go down slick tracks.
Doesn't work like that in Pro Stock
rickseeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry 6674 View Post
When they give the first couple of pair of super comp a rerun that means they know what the track is like
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Troy Pourciau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

According to NHRA officials, problems with the racing surface at zMax Dragway – coupled with a brief shower that drenched the track and sent spectators racing for cover – prompted them to call off competition for the day.

However, two drivers told the Observer that those problems, along with low track temperatures – in the high 80s, compared with 110-plus degrees earlier in the week – were responsible for driver Vieri “V” Gaines wrecking his Pro Stock car during an elimination-round race against Allen Johnson.

While Gaines walked away from the wreck, it caused an hour-long delay as workers attempted to correct the problems. The 20-minute shower then made that work moot and moved NHRA officials to consider alternatives.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Pourciau View Post
According to NHRA officials, problems with the racing surface at zMax Dragway – coupled with a brief shower that drenched the track and sent spectators racing for cover – prompted them to call off competition for the day.

However, two drivers told the Observer that those problems, along with low track temperatures – in the high 80s, compared with 110-plus degrees earlier in the week – were responsible for driver Vieri “V” Gaines wrecking his Pro Stock car during an elimination-round race against Allen Johnson.

While Gaines walked away from the wreck, it caused an hour-long delay as workers attempted to correct the problems. The 20-minute shower then made that work moot and moved NHRA officials to consider alternatives.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
forget it....

Last edited by jmcarter; 09-15-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: No reason to vent...NHRA doesn't care and racers race.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

If you watched the coverage on ESPN it was pretty clear there was a problem with the first pair of PS cars. Jason was clearly upset and had no BS comments when interviewed at the tail end of the broadcast. The track clearly has issues that needs resolved.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

Maybe if that track got used more it would be in better shape. How you can justify having it sit fallow for so long and be paying property taxes on it doesn't make cents.You mean to tell me there aren't any racers near by who would love it for a local track? John Kissel
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Bryan Worner

Liked 409 Times in 66 Posts

I feel NHRA really dropped the ball here! First off, why were the Pro stock cars the only ones having problems? I didn't see any of the top fuel or funny cars having issues, other than blowing up! Maybe several oil downs by the fuelers caused the tricky conditions? Maybe the lack of downforce on pro stock cars, coupled with severely better conditions on Sunday were a factor. My car was a tenth faster Sunday than all weekend. I adjusted.

When the rain stopped, they shouldve had the track dryers out there and finished the sportsman. I looked at the track about 2 hours after it quit raining and it was all but dry. They cancelled the racing at 3pm and could run until 1 am, according to Sunday curfews. Who made this decision and why? I have yet to see or hear any evidence that the track was the problem.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote