HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts
Default Re: Tech Teardowns in Stock Eliminator

Allen Sherman went through a big teardown on his Corvette at the 2015 Indy event.

He has to pull the engine, pull a piston rod assembly, they checked throttle body, intake, heads camshaft, crankshaft stroke. They also checked the wheelbase, front and rear overhand of the body.

In addition to his car, he had to assist Stock and Super Stock customers that were torn down too.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

A typical rod and piston tear down.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Sean Doran never went down the track in 2015. J Allen passed and I can't remember who else had to drop the pan that was ok.
J. Allen, and Shane Burkett.....however as I get older my memory is not what it used to be.....

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 10-14-2016 at 04:04 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:41 AM   #14
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Allen Sherman went through a big teardown on his Corvette at the 2015 Indy event.

He has to pull the engine, pull a piston rod assembly, they checked throttle body, intake, heads camshaft, crankshaft stroke. They also checked the wheelbase, front and rear overhand of the body.

In addition to his car, he had to assist Stock and Super Stock customers that were torn down too.
OK even before I hurt my back while I still twisted wrenches, That's a LOT of work to get done and race that same day/weekend !!
Old 10-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noll View Post
OK even before I hurt my back while I still twisted wrenches, That's a LOT of work to get done and race that same day/weekend !!
Who determines who and what gets tore down? Is there a procedure, I can see winning or record setting, or just bring all your tools for supprize inspection?
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #16
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCSt...r2015#indextop
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #17
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

J Allen will also tell you NHRA had NO engine stands. Laid engine on side on a pallet to pull piston. Stupid Nhra bulls...t

Last edited by Ed Carpenter; 10-15-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,419 Times in 1,683 Posts

1978, Gainesville..The top 16 had to go to the local Pontiac dealer and pull pistons.I happened to be 15th, with the R/Stock 283 car.
Easiest way was to pull the whole engine, set it back on the flywheel, and pull the pan that way.
Of course, no engine stands.
Anyway...rolled it in at 5 pm...Started it and drove it out at 10.
We don't work that hard or fast anymore.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
dond409

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there in 78 crewing for WA Lee. I don't remember pulling a piston and rod. Just a head as I recall.
dond409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Tech Teardowns in Stock Eliminator

We got torn down one year at Pomona with one of the Chevelles. It wasn't too scary.The first thing that wanted to see was the carb. I pulled it and sent it and the card with the driver to the carb tech guy,meanwhile,I pulled the intake, and the tech guy at large asked me to pull the left head. Carb came up good, so I sent the driver with the intake to that tech guy. I got the head off, removed the rocker arms, and took the head to the head guy. First, use carb spray, brake cleaner,do whatever, get the head SPOTLESS. The head went onto a fixture, we used a test spark plug, and we CC'd one combustion chamber at random. It came up good, he then gave me a valve spring compressor and told me to remove one intake and one exhaust valve at random from two different cylinders. The valve went into a fixture to determine the valve seat angle was in spec, both valves were OK,then the head got a visual by a couple of tech inspectors.It came up OK, so the head went back together. He met me back at the car, then asked me to pull two lifters.He measured the overall installed height of the lifter,came up with a real nice brass test lifter that was adjustable,we reassembled the valve train, and he checked max lift on those two lobes with a real nice dial indicator test stand that bolted to the head, they both passed by a few, then he checked the bore with a dial bore gauge,then used a magnetic deck bridge and a long dial indicator to verify the engine's stroke. Be sure you have a long breaker bar for ease of rotating the crank. The longer the bar, the more accurately you can do this.I also had to clean the top of a piston so the manufacturers' part number or brand name was visible in order to verify legality of the engine's piston. We came up good, I set the head up with a new gasket and bolted up the header, then they towed the car back to our pit space with an official NHRA golf cart where I torqued the head,installed the intake, adjusted the valves, dropped in the distributor and the carb, and lit it off and timed it. Total time for all this was about five hours, but we were the first team apart and out of there. Glad to be done with it.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote