HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2024, 06:45 PM   #21
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 291 Posts
Default Re: Engine assembly bench or engine stand

I think there was a time when a lot of us had setups to connect the race car to the tow vehicle in the pits and warm the race car engine up before we started it.

I think I still have the hoses around somewhere with the quick disconnect ends on them.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:08 PM   #22
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg West View Post
Maybe one of the piston ring companies or honing machine companies could run a test for everyone to prove this out. Hone a block to finish size, check all the bores with a PAT machine. Then mount the block to an engine stand and re-run the PAT test on all the cylinders. Compare the results.
Then check it a third time to see if it came back to size, if, in fact, it moved at all on the stand.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #23
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,490 Times in 1,965 Posts

Billy the DP Challenger had motor mounts and that the ones I race with. My DP Challenger is not as quick or as fast as the rest of the cars in class and it doesn’t pull the wheels up very high. But what you mentioned deserves some thought. Thanks
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-20-2024, 10:43 PM   #24
Jrh5220

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Engine assembly bench or engine stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
With all DUE respect, some of you guys just overthink this stuff…Reminds me of the LATE , GREAT Dave Lebrun. He towed with a ramp truck and he had the race car hoses plumbed into the hoses of the race car hauler …..
He’s not the only one.
Jrh5220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:08 AM   #25
Henrys Toy

Liked 468 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: Engine assembly bench or engine stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
Mr. Derby ...Bill Jenkins I think pioneered the hooking up the hauler coolant hoses to the race car engine to keep engine hot .. I do remember one year in late 70.s Jenkins pulled in to US Nationals tech in middle of night & turned off the hauler engine & immediately jumped outa the truck & fired up his noisey generator & pluged in 2 block heaters to keep race car engine hot all night & thu all weekend while pitted
Good morning to all,
I believe that Jere Stahl also was an advocate of that as well. If I'm not mistaken when Stahl & Associates was in business, Bill Jenkins was a silent partner. If that would be true, then those two minds along with many years of racing experience combined put out the specialty items they used to sell. Hot Honing was also a favorite topic to discuss with Jere.
They both came form the same "neck of the woods" !

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:40 AM   #26
Roy Kinslow

Liked 128 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
Bill had a specific reason for doing this. We talked about it a couple of times. It was due to the ZL1 aluminum block. He said it was a big problem having the cylinders go out of round after a heat cycle. So he decided to keep the block at temp 24/7 and said it helped a lot, but not a total cure.

From working with him, two of his major focuses were carb jetting and ring seal. I remember him asking for an engine to go back for a refresh long before other builders would. And no, it wasn't about making extra money. He insisted on everthing being within his limits, but anybody that knew him would tell you he was totally honest and fair.

And it also explained why some of his pieces were not so competitive after some time. There were two owners I remember who thought it was all bs and wouldn't agree to a refresh when he said it was time. He didn't rant and rave about it, but I could tell he did not like cars with his stuff in them going out there and struggling to qualify.

As for the block heat, he said the aluminum block was never as stable as the iron but it was the best workable solution he could come up with.
Another issue that I have heard of with aluminum blocks and big cams is the cold valve lash tightening up to the point that the engine wont start cold unless the valve lash is backed off. This would be a pain that would've been avoided by keeping temps up.
Roy Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote