HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Update on my foxbody

anybody got ed's contact info? what kind of e.t.'s did you get out of your car with an extender and the gears?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

Evan Smith might know how to contact Ed. John Presing ran in the 11.80 range, back in early 2000's, in L/S.
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

John Presing is an invaluable source of information for these cars (and many others). You should give him a call.

If you can't get the Ford Extender, you can get a Moats Quarterhorse or Tweecer board (there are plenty of others too) that plug into the stock Ford computer. You use a USB cable from your laptop to the board to change the stock settings.

There are a number of computer programs out there that you can buy online (or get for free in some cases) to change the strategy and calibration parameters once you get connected. You can change anything in the computer from how many RPMs your engine rises when the air conditioning goes on, to timing curves, injector size and slope, you name it. If it's programmed in the computer from the factory, you can change it.

I have the Moats board in my street car, and it works great. I use Binary Editor for software, which has a good interface and data logging capabilities. You can get both about $350 new.

You can download the software before buying it to get a feel for what it does. There is also a lot of information on the website that will help you get started. There are a bunch of tuning websites that are helpful too.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
Slickfoot

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm was always told that there is not much one could do with the stock computer, don't waist your money on it.
I put a set of Lakewood 50/50 shocks on the rear tonight that were giving to me. And I think I have the timming at 14 I'll check before the next race night. I also have a elec. fan I'll try to get on before tuesday.
Slickfoot
Slickfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
SSGT Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickfoot View Post
I'm was always told that there is not much one could do with the stock computer, don't waist your money on it.
Slickfoot
Well, I'm not sure who told you that, but that's an incredibly untrue statement. You can change anything on that engine using the stock computer and an interface and software.

You owe it to yourself to look at what's available. Google "Binary Editor," download the program and use the demo.

Here, I'll save you the trouble of having to Google it.

http://www.eecanalyzer.net/be
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
SSGT Mustang

One more thing.

Here's a tip when using the stock computer. Disconnect the wire to your O2 sensors, clean them very well, apply dielectric grease and reconnect them.

There are two connections from the harness. One on the front passenger side of the engine compartment, and one underneath the car, where the O2 sensors connect.

Condensation tends to accumulate in the connectors (particularly the one in the engine compartment), causing a lot of oxidation on the pins, which sends false readings to the computer. The computer uses those readings to measure against the value entered for air/fuel ratio, and will adjust to compensate for the difference.

Last edited by SSGT Mustang; 08-01-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Slickfoot

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Are there any list of changes you would change from stock, and how would that change the power?
Slickfoot
Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #18

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I picked up a second and 7 MPH with a stock ECM, Tweecer, locked out timing,
and creating a few fuel tables (one for race gas and one for pump gas). Ran .40 under the old index with a 135,000 long block and a legal stocker cam, never had the heads off. They lowered the indexes .30 so now I have a decent, budget minded fresh engine and have run .65 under the current index.
All with the 1995 Ford OEM computer.

BTW, John Presing has a wealth of blue oval knowledge and many years of experience with 5.0L and FE Mustangs. I still blame him for my drag racing addiction.......................love ya JP

Last edited by 7423; 08-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
SSGT Mustang

Exactly what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

There are a bunch of program variables that you don't need to concern yourself with (Air Conditioning controls, emissions, etc).

You need to focus on the timing and injector events. When you get gears, you'll also need to increase the rev-limiter. If you change the cam and injectors at some point, you'll need to change the MAF meter and adjust the injector size scalar in the computer.

There are a number of very helpful tuning websites out there that you should join, and a lot of information in print to read.

Buy a set of 5:14 gears, and find a way to get into that computer.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Slickfoot

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

No new update ,rained out for the 4th time in two weeks. Used the time off to replace the fan with a elec. unit how much H.P. do you think that will free up.
Slickfoot