HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,493 Times in 426 Posts
Default Any Wideband o2 that records?

I have been battling with this Accel DFI Gen 7 and it's Engine Analyzer box to get an accurate air/fuel reading with the wideband o2 sensor with no luck. I have moved the sensor to three different places and purchased a few new sensors this year and still not working. Tried the collector and now the primary 12 inches from valve and it's stuck at 17.99 during a run which isn't possible according to my plugs. WIll never know if my VE table is set right or target AF ratio is accurate until I get something that can actually work.

I need something that records along with the rpms.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Any Wideband o2 that records?

Bobby, Is the logger recording rpm , battery voltage and any other functions you have configured into the system?
If so, you may want to check the O2 sensor wiring at the DFI box.
Also, these units are very sensitive to proper grounding. With ignition on, activate your Analyzer while hooked up to your laptop and see if the O2 sensor lights on the bottom left of the screen turn green after 15-20 seconds or so. If they do, that indicates the sensors are heated up and functional. If not, you are not getting power to the sensor(s).

I have the old Accel Calmap unit and have the DFI box as a stand alone only used for the O2 readings.( got the car this way). I believe 17.99 is the system default reading when the O2's are not functioning properly.
I am no expert on this stuff.....but I struggled thru the learning process and finally got it to work.
I have a phone number of a service guy in Alabama that is an Accel dealer. He was a big help in getting mine functional. Let me know if you need it and I'll dig it up.
Hope this helps.
John
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

It records 16 channels of data and they seem to be fairly accurate on the log except for air fuel. Took a while to get that to record right! Yes the green light does come on for the sensor so I think the sensor still works. Is the leaded fuel capable of killing the sensor after one run? Or is the two-step damaging it with cylinder cancelation and rich conditions? Thanks for your help John.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Bobby, Not sure what the answer is to your two questions. I run VP Leaded race fuel and have a 2 step as I'm sure many others do.
The Accel dealer/installer I talked to is Lee At Hesco. # is 205-251- 1472 and his E-mail is LEE@HESCO.US
I have found that Accel has no tech service to speak of unless you contact one of these dealers.

John
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

The O2 sensor will standup to alot of runs before failing. We run VP 110.
We use the Innovate LM1 and an Innovate accessory to pull RPM from the MSD. It has a record button, and then I download to view the run.

Clark
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

The best wide band AFR sensor I've ever used is the NGK Powerdex AFX. It does not record by itself, but it does have an output channel that will work with any good data logger.

We ran the same O2 sensor for around two years, until it was damaged during a landing from a huge wheelstand.

Someone convinced one of us to try an Innovate, that has never worked right.

I have hooked a couple of good friends up with the Daytona Sensor stuff, they have been extremely happy. Daytona Sensor is what we'll be running pretty soon.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Cool, yea I'm unsure if it is the sensor not reading right or the behind the times accel software is screwing up the reading. Even the latest version of the software has lots of glitches, can't overlap graphs like I'm supposed to. One laptop the A/F ratio reads 17.99 and the other laptop it reads 9.89. So I started researching the standalone o2 systems like AEM, Innovate, and Zeitronix.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

I don't want to sidetrack this post, but thought that it would be helpful to share that I just bought the two channel Accel O2 sensor kit to go along side of my Accel DFI Generation 7 for a stocker that I'm building and am not too pleased with the quality control.

I bought it from a large retailer that had it dropped shipped directly from Accel. The first time around, one O2 sensor was missing, the connection cable was missing and the housing to the computer was broken. The housing didn't break during shipping, because the broken piece wasn't in the box, and box was in perfect shape when it arrived. I called the retailer, and they took care of it and had a replacement on the way.

I also called Accel to make them aware of the situation, and they seemed not to care too much about what I was telling them. The guy basically said that he wasn't going to do anything about it and had no interest in looking into their quality control.

The second go round, got a new box direct from Accel again....missing an O2 sensor, but got a cable...too bad that it's the wrong one. Called the retailer, and they're taking care of it. There's no point in calling Accel, since it's clear where they stand on quality control.

Where does this leave me? Let's say that I don't have a great deal of confidence in their products, and I'm strongly considering returning the O2 kit, and get my $800 back.

I'm interested to see how this thread plays out.

Last edited by SSGT Mustang; 08-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look at the Innovate MTX-L and a PL-1 pocket logger, or an LM2.
jmarkaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I run the AEM wb failsafe on my turbo Stocker.

It samples 20 times per second and I can download the file after every run.
Not cheap at 300 bucks, but the failsafe feature is needed for a non-intercooled turbo engine like mine.

http://aemelectronics.com/?q=product...failsafe-gauge

Last edited by ALMACK; 08-31-2014 at 02:31 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote