HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Default Original hemi dart information

Hi my name is Daryl;I am new to this forum,& I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me out with some history of my 1968 original Hemi Dart. I lose it's past from the early 80's back to 1968.I am enclosing some pictures of it when it was purchased from Lou Vignona back in 1985??.There is one picture that shows a decal from the 1977 Bracket Nationals.Maybe someone will regognize it.
This is what I know of the car so far.Lou Vignona said he purchased it from some guy in Mt.Kisco(Cisco??) N.Y in the early 80's.It was in an underground parking lot of some apartment complex.The guy told Lou that it was Charlie Castaldo's Auto. car. I have since found out that it is not Castaldo's car thru talking to one of Charlie's crew members at the time by the name of Charlie Licata.When Lou purhased the car,he had it painted white.This is how Tim Henessey purchased it in 1985.
I have heard some storys about an original Hemi Dart in the N.Y. area that was known as the "two scoop Lido" car.I understand that this Lido guy installed some aftermarket scoop on top of the original scoop.Thus the name.I have spoke with Tim Henessey about this & he did say the original scoop was really messed up so he had to replace it when he restored the car.
If anyone can help me out on this,I sure would appreciate it as I have been searching for info. now for over 3 years,maybe 4.Any little detail may help no matter how small it may be.
Thankyou; Daryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	As Bought 1985.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	126   Click image for larger version

Name:	hemidart bracket racing decal.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	127   Click image for larger version

Name:	As Bought 1985_0001.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	128  

Click image for larger version

Name:	As Bought 1985_0002.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	129  
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Casey Miles

Liked 434 Times in 82 Posts
Cool Re: Original hemi dart information

My brother was friends with a guy named Joe Armor who owned an original Hemi Dodge Dart that was named "Ram Rod" on Long Island. From what I remember that Speedwin automotive did him an engine and it siezed, nearly crashing the car. The origninal motor was take out of the car and sold to a fire department for one of their racing fire trucks.
Joe Armor lived in North Port L. I. and if he's still around you may get some information on your car. His car was white as I remember also. I think that there was a Dart on "MY Classic Car" and the guy I think said that he had gotten it from Speedwin. It's a lead that I hope helps you out.
Casey Miles
248H E/S because of 4 HP
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
donald j raiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Original hemi dart information

what are the first 4 numbers in the vin?

dj raiser
donald j raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Liteweight
VIP Member

Default Re: Original hemi dart information

- DJ-The first numbers in the VIN are LO23M8B_ _ _ _ _ _.
-Thankyou Casey I'll look into the Joe Armor lead.Yes there was a Dart on "My Classic Car" that was originally campaigned by Speedwin Automotive.The owners/drivers name was Joe Jill who purchased that car new.
-Here's a couple shots of my car as it sits today.

Thankyou Daryl
Old 09-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
donald j raiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Original hemi dart information

IT'S THE REAL DEAL ! i'll have a name and number of a hemi historian tomorrow for you.
dj raiser
donald j raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Liteweight
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
- DJ-The first numbers in the VIN are LO23M8B_ _ _ _ _ _.
-Thankyou Casey I'll look into the Joe Armor lead.Yes there was a Dart on "My Classic Car" that was originally campaigned by Speedwin Automotive.The owners/drivers name was Joe Jill who purchased that car new.
-Here's a couple shots of my car as it sits today.

Thankyou Daryl
OOPS;I can't seem to attatch any more pictures to my file.guess I used up the total amount allowed.I tryed deleting one of my previous pictures,but I couldn't do that either.Sorry bout that.Anybody have a suggestion as I'm not great on the keyboard.

Daryl
Old 09-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Daryl,
You have a PM.
Bob Rice
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

A few weeks ago Daryl had his car at a local show that has around 800 cars. Also heard from a mutual friend that they were going cruisin' after the show.The car got/gets a lot of attention!!...gsa612 (sorry, the image will not enlarge)
Attached Images

gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
jarn05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi daryl, i am lou's son jimi, i saw your post on this, i remember the car when my dad got it, it still had castaldos paint and name on it before it got painted, i begged my dad and uncle not to sell the car!!!!! we also turned down the speedwin car a few years earlier for $8800.00
jarn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Wayne Totaro

Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts

Daryl,

Call Del Jones 304-282-1019. He and Mark Janacky have more information on these cars(1968 Race Hemi Darts and Cudas) than anyone on the planet. I was the producer of the video/DVD titled The Ultimate 68 Race Hemi and have been to three of these reunions since 1992. Good Luck

Wayne
Wayne Totaro is offline   Reply With Quote