HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-27-2024, 10:20 AM   #1
JP1738

Liked 259 Times in 84 Posts
Question Post-Run Etiquette

Hello all, quick opinion thread here to see everyone's thoughts on post-run decorum. I'll tell you what I did and my experience and you can let me know if it was warranted or ill-advised.

I ran at the D2 race at SGMP this past weekend which was shortened due to rain. That being the case, we were only allotted one qualifying run. Because of the hurried nature of the race, D2 officials decided not to do fuel check and just weighed cars after the one qualifying hit and each round of elimination. I made my Q1 hit, weighed (I'm about 35#s heavy right now, came in at 3570 where my min is 3534) and went on about my day. Like I said, they also weighed the winners after each round of elimination. I was fortunate enough to win 1st and 2nd round, so I was required to weigh after both of those rounds.

Now it is my understanding that if for some reason a car does not pass a fuel check and the weigh-in, they are disqualified from the race and there opponent is awarded the round win. I got beat on a good run against Jeff Adkinson 3rd round, let go .033 and went -.007 under my dial to his .040 and a couple above. After the run, I made the first turn off given that I only went 99mph and Jeff went to the end after his 143mph pass, so I was in front of him coming back to the ET shack. Once I got the paper work on the race, I pulled over to the side to wait for Jeff to pass me. I wanted to make sure he 1.) Didn't drive by the scales or 2.) Fail to pass the weigh in. Now I know Jeff has been doing this for a long time and I'd be shocked if he forgot to weigh or flunked the check somehow, but I waited anyway. He did so and passed, so I fired up and drove back to my pit.

Is this bad taste? I didn't really see anyone else do this, but I felt like I was just doing my due diligence and making sure Jeff did what he was supposed to. I went up to him after the round to congratulate him and shake his hand. He didn't mention anything about the maneuver and was very humble in his round win, even thanking me for joining the stock ranks which I really appreciate.

What say you fine folks? Anybody else doing this? It probably would've been different had I been behind him to start with as I could have seen him drive onto the scales and pass, it just felt a little awkward pulling over and shutting off to wait for him.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: Post-Run Etiquette

You do you. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if my opponent watches at the scales after a run.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:15 AM   #3
jimi vignogna

Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts

No way am I leaving until I know my opponent passed all checks post pass win.
jimi vignogna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:40 AM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Personally I never wait at the scale if I get beat. I have been racing with the D2 guys in SS for over 49 years and have never had anyone come up light at the scale. I have had a few wait on me though. Absolutely nothing wrong with what you did.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:56 AM   #5
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

It is a great question and you absolutely did the correct thing.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:00 PM   #6
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

I was at the Gators and in the semi finals, I got beat by a well-known racer, I waited at the scales and he drove right by never stopping. I spoke to the NHRA official, he said that they'll just make him come back, which never happened. If the roles were reversed, I'm sure I would've been tossed.

Casey Miles
248H Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:25 PM   #7
Irace007

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
Hello all, quick opinion thread here to see everyone's thoughts on post-run decorum. I'll tell you what I did and my experience and you can let me know if it was warranted or ill-advised.

I ran at the D2 race at SGMP this past weekend which was shortened due to rain. That being the case, we were only allotted one qualifying run. Because of the hurried nature of the race, D2 officials decided not to do fuel check and just weighed cars after the one qualifying hit and each round of elimination. I made my Q1 hit, weighed (I'm about 35#s heavy right now, came in at 3570 where my min is 3534) and went on about my day. Like I said, they also weighed the winners after each round of elimination. I was fortunate enough to win 1st and 2nd round, so I was required to weigh after both of those rounds.

Now it is my understanding that if for some reason a car does not pass a fuel check and the weigh-in, they are disqualified from the race and there opponent is awarded the round win. I got beat on a good run against Jeff Adkinson 3rd round, let go .033 and went -.007 under my dial to his .040 and a couple above. After the run, I made the first turn off given that I only went 99mph and Jeff went to the end after his 143mph pass, so I was in front of him coming back to the ET shack. Once I got the paper work on the race, I pulled over to the side to wait for Jeff to pass me. I wanted to make sure he 1.) Didn't drive by the scales or 2.) Fail to pass the weigh in. Now I know Jeff has been doing this for a long time and I'd be shocked if he forgot to weigh or flunked the check somehow, but I waited anyway. He did so and passed, so I fired up and drove back to my pit.

Is this bad taste? I didn't really see anyone else do this, but I felt like I was just doing my due diligence and making sure Jeff did what he was supposed to. I went up to him after the round to congratulate him and shake his hand. He didn't mention anything about the maneuver and was very humble in his round win, even thanking me for joining the stock ranks which I really appreciate.

What say you fine folks? Anybody else doing this? It probably would've been different had I been behind him to start with as I could have seen him drive onto the scales and pass, it just felt a little awkward pulling over and shutting off to wait for him.
CYA Cover Your A
Old 03-27-2024, 03:08 PM   #8
BZenzen

Liked 163 Times in 29 Posts

Last summer I ran a guy who was a long time bracket racer at BIR. I had no 2nd gear but tried to get some round points, he beat me first round and he was so excited to get his first round win he drove right by the scales.

I had stopped by the scales to take my jacket and pants off for the drive back and the tech guys asked if I wanted him tossed. The thought never crossed my mind, I told them call him back to the scales it’s an honest mistake. They did and he went on to the semi finals for the event.

I would never think twice if a competitor stopped to make sure I scaled or did fuel check, it’s part of the S/SS race. If they get upset then that’s on them.
BZenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:58 PM   #9
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

It never means anything and less it"s a heads up class run.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:17 PM   #10
billy wilson

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talking Re: Post-Run Etiquette

DP, I sat at the scales and waited on you. I didn't think about the first turn off and when I came by your pits your car was already charging and you were probably eating a sandwich.
billy wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked