Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,484 Times in 1,704 Posts
Default Re: Atlanta fan appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
I noticed something this week at Atlanta. There were a lot of fans looking at Jimmy Ronzello's car. And a lot of them were young. I also noted that there were more fans inspecting my "wierd car" than the early style Camaro parked next to me.
I you guys want to make stock and superstock a "notalgia" thing. It's all over but the car crushing.
These younger fans can relate to a new Mustang, or a Challenger, Or believe it or not my "lowly" Neon.
They were even born when those older muscle cars were 10 years old.
And due to the hard but very true fact, that old people are a dying breed. nhra better push the newer cars. If they have any hope of surviving.
Artie, That last sentence says it all.
The imports and FWD's turn in force everytime Speedworld opens the gates for a T&T night, same as everywhere else, I'm sure.

I was just thinking the other night when I was out there, how NHRA's "enhancements " over the years ,have made it virtually impossible for a beginning racer to compete in any kind of structured "class "
racing. Even if the late model FWD's were competitive , just think what it would cost them to try it.Tow vehicles, trailers, $300 entries, 4-5 days off of work, $10 approved gas, $50 numbers and so on.
The average young guy could never afford to get started in class racing, the way we were able to.

There are some here who say about NHRA "what does it matter, another $20 -50 here or there? I can afford it"
Fact is, everytime that happens , they are pricing a few more potential racers out of their program, or forcing out a few more veterans, who've had enough.

If someone could figure out how to get these new guys into some form of structured racing they could afford, he'd have a huge customer base to draw from.....
And please don't suggest the Summit Bracket Racing series. Expecting them to compete against 30 year veteran racers in RWD cars, is not the answer.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
junior barns

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I think most on here agree on this as I do. These new cars should be welcomed by all! The HP factors are what's all screwed up!

Just looking at the Mustang and the Challenger. Under factored by atleast 100HP. These cars are and will be built by current members and will only benefit those who can afford to spent $75000+ just to outrun all others who have spent years of r&d to make their combos as fast as they are.

This is just 1 example of many new cars that will be coming down the pipe line soon. My point is; I dont think these new cars will bring in hardly any new blood to our community of racing. VERY FEW will be able to afford it!! VERY FEW will put up with the BS and time it takes to attend a div or a National event! Maybe a net loss of racers who feel tired of getting **** on and will just quit!

So when it is all said and done I feel will we will be racing against the same old freinds as always. NHRA better take GOOD care of its current members while trying to bring in the younger generation!!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Honest question here and not meant as a put down though some will take it that way. If they are so popular then why did the sport compact concept fail so badly ??? Even the bikini show couldnt keep it floating !
nhra screwed the sport compact racing up. It got off to a great start. Then they let the high dollar guys come in and dominate. You don't have a race car but if you did how would you like it if you had to run a couple of cars in your class that had a half million dollar budget for the season. It discouraged most of the racers. And they wound up with 3 and 4 car fields.
They did it to themselves. The sport compact racers or fans are there they just have no place to race.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Thats what BRACKET racing was invented for.
Terry I would have to counter and say to you "thats what Nostagia racing was created for" .
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
junior barns

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Art
No disrespect and dont want to get off topic, but what you said in your last post is exactly how most people in AA and A/S feel about the new Mustang! With the full force backing of Ford how can anybody compete!! I understand that the odds of getting a heads up is small but stock and ss is perfomance based and (most) strive to be the fastest in their class!

just my 2 ents worth
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I believe it is totally different The mustangs are race cars the older cars had their hp done with mufflers, very small cams, stock pistons, stock fuel pumps Etc.Etc.
If you put the older cars back to the way they came from the factory. I would agree 100%.
Even the race hemis and max wedge cars came with cast iron manifolds.
The early cars have an awful lot of enhancements done by the racers. The mustangs are done by the factory they come with race headers, a sfi balancer etc.
Yes they are going to make a lot more power than the factory number. But so does a 427 chevy or a street hemi.
How much money does it take to build a competitive a or aa stocker. I'm sure you will wind up close to if not more than the mustangs.

Last edited by art leong; 04-19-2009 at 02:08 PM.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Why dont the FWD guys build something really cool! Like a 66 Toronado SS car, or a 1996 Eldorado ETC? Or a 1970 Eldorado with a 500? I know there was a guy running a 1990 or so Buick Rivera with a turbo V-6, that was kind of cool.

There are all kinds of cool combos, Art yours is different, cant wait to see it. It is what makes drag racing, America, Apple Pie great.

Terry is correct hands down, they even tried small blocks in trucks and that wasnt successful either as a stand alone. I think maybe no limit on cubic inches with a single 4 barrel trucks, now we are talking. That would make a truck!!!!!!!!! How about a 1955-57 GMC truck with a Pontiac motor in stock or Super Stock?

Last edited by Lynn A McCarty; 04-19-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Lynn A McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbjr View Post
No one over 30. 1/2 of them ran in the 7's in the 1/8. We then did a Carolina Honda day with the similar result.

Herb jr
I was over thirty and had owned two Neons. LOL! I met Darrell and Mike in Gainesville at an import shootout before they had the SRT, both stand up guys. Scott Mohler's parents were there waiting on Scotts arrival, they were good people also.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
And it is also why bracket racing is so strong. The stands at sanctioned events are filled with spectators that run imports and/or brackets. The topic of this thread is "Fan Appeal". I agree with Art on this one. The younger spectators are drawn to cars that they can relate to. Just like the fans of 1969.
I think the question is, what are the younger guys being attracted by at the national events? I doubt that as cool as Arts car is, there was news on the grapevine about it coming to an event near them. I also personally feel its a budget issue for some of them. While I have HEMI Cuda taste, I have a turbo Shadow budget. But I love racing enough to race my Shadow and enjoy it rather than walk away from the sport because I can't have what I want at the moment.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Unhappy Re: Atlanta fan appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Terry I would have to counter and say to you "thats what Nostagia racing was created for" .
I agree 100% with you Art and with your post about the expense of the sport compact series. . Junior Barns also said that most will not put up with BS of NHRA or IHRA style racing along with the expense and that to....I agree with. I think in a very few years the class structure as we "OLD FARTS" have grown up with will go away.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote