Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-31-2024, 12:45 PM   #51
goinbroke2

Liked 175 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: U/SA 302 ffffford build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Are you afraid the alternator might overheat? ;-)
I'm a little slow Mark....can you elaborate?
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:37 PM   #52
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,472 Times in 1,700 Posts

Stock pulley and fan on alternator..
Old 03-31-2024, 03:22 PM   #53
goinbroke2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Stock pulley and fan on alternator..
Hmmm...never thought that far ahead, I'm still concerned about only having one battery and was considering running the bigger crank pulley out front instead of the smaller one I did in behind. Thanks for the observation, this will be the 1000's of tiny things I have to redo to make it quicker. Now I'm going to go look at more stocker engine bays to see what else I missed, lol!

All comments welcome as there is stuff I never even thought of, that most would say "well of course you do" but I'm learning.
Liked
Old 04-01-2024, 04:48 PM   #54
goinbroke2

Interior going back in...still need a front right seat in red......

Also not in the picture but I made an aluminum plate to cover the shifter hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	69473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	69474  
Old 04-01-2024, 04:52 PM   #55
goinbroke2

Looking at the pictures I see another issue...no radio and no heater controls....dang it!!!
Can you replace radio and heater controls with gauges and lights??

Or, are these "must have" as well?? I guess I'll have to look for that crap, man 1 step ahead and 2 back every time, lol!

Last edited by goinbroke2; 04-01-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #56
Cglrcng

Liked 131 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
Looking at the pictures I see another issue...no radio and no heater controls....dang it!!!
Can you replace radio and heater controls with gauges and lights??

Or, are these "must have" as well?? I guess I'll have to look for that crap, man 1 step ahead and 2 back every time, lol!
Radio can have a block off plate/plug, but Heater/AC controls must remain. The 2024 NHRA Rulebook is avail. Free online, Section 11A, get familiar with it, and on your phone so you can quickly find your answers, section by section, item by item, it pays off quickly.

My 84' has been in the family since the dealer lot trip (Feb. 5, 1985), sold without a radio, helped install the cheap K-Mart special Kraco w/Cassette player stereo, that same afternoon, and still have the original poly plastic blocker plate that came factory in center console dash tower. But, due to sentimental reasons, the speakers are gone, radio is now only 1" deep (just weighs ounces now, and no longer makes noise, but still has a light on it, and the tuning needle is permanently set to 102.7 Mhz KIIS FM (The SoCal Classic Rock Station I first set as programmable button 1 to drive my dear departed Mom nuts as this was her daily driver for her career job w/the AAA of Southern California). The Heater and AC box sits in the corner of my garage now, but the controls are right above that fake radio front. All the lights work.

Even w/the rulebook in hand, I still have questions still unresolved. (But, that list is getting shorter by the day). 1 foot in front of the other, horse before the cart, 1 change at a time. Sometimes 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Progress is slow, but getting faster w/each step in the right direction and constantly experimenting.

Old projects, need a bumper to bumper nut and bolt ck, then you can fully concentrate on the improves, rather than the repairs constantly. It will show the weak points, and those need improves then, not later.

I started my fully re-built powerplant out w/ the biggest fully ckd legal cam for the combo I had on my shelf at the time (though it was a new to me recent purchase, a specially ground 1 off Reed cam, tons of overlap, almost maxed on the exhaust side for lift, intake side was mid range, and it sounded amazing, but 1/8 mile passes were 7K in lo gear, it was in the car 2 whole test sessions (1/8th mile and 1 quarter mile, zero vacuum until 3K rpm (no go w/current power brakes), left like a turtle for 100 then stormed out the back end, would not run the number w/ those brakes, and that converter as tight as it currently
is, swapped it out to my next lower mid lift cam, same settings, and 4 race events (and 1 Class Wally later), ended the 2023 season almost -.800 under index at Pomona.

But, without experimenting to find sweet spots, and forging ahead with a pretty sound car in the beginning, and taking the time, spending the money, I would be
mired in repairs, rather than improves, as mine also sat from 1997-2022 (26 years between racing it actively in STK 1994-97', and a redebut in late 2023).

Good luck on your mission brother! I am enjoying the build thread. I need to update mine too after April (Class racing again this month for 2024! 9 days to Vegas 4 wide, followed by LODRS Double w/Class, all within a 2 week period).
Old 04-01-2024, 11:22 PM   #57
goinbroke2

Thanks for the positive reinforcement! Yeah I keep looking at the guide online when I think of something, but that's usually after I make a mistake and have to redo stuff, lol!

I'm going to d/l it now and do some reading. (hopefully won't see a glaring oversite on my part)

Thinking it would of been simpler to get a street car and just pull out what is legal rather than trying to change a bracket car into a street car so I can convert it to a stocker!

First time to the track will give me a lot of answers (guess I should of rebuilt the transmission or rear end, lol) don't even know what it weighs.

Ok...time to download the rule book!
Old 04-02-2024, 12:08 AM   #58
goinbroke2

D/L the rule book and found 6 things I need to check/change. Nothing crazy but more work, like;

-Need to find a heater control panel.

-Need to install a radio (actually I like this as I listen to the announcer as I'm staging). But this means moving the fuel pump and fan switches that are mounted to the block off plate that I just finished rewiring a few months ago.

-Headlights and taillights...damn it, cut the harness off at the firewall in '93 or so because you just know it made it that much faster with no headlight harness...lol....

Couple more things to add to the list. (I guess that's why the list never gets shorter, I keep adding to it!)

(keep rereading the line "mired in repairs, rather than improves", boy that has an ominous tone to it..lol)

Last edited by goinbroke2; 04-02-2024 at 12:13 AM.
Liked
Old 04-05-2024, 10:44 PM   #59
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts

You do not need a radio, factory, or otherwise. Heater controls, yes.
Liked
Old 04-07-2024, 01:54 PM   #60
goinbroke2

Life always throws you curve balls doesn't it??

Thursday night coming home from bible study in the snow storm, this happened. Nobody hurt but it went down over a 30' bank and was over 100' off the road when it finally fetched up on more trees and a huge rock. Waiting until Monday to see what the adjuster says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller pic.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	69492