HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts
Default Re: Read this

-I don't care who tows with what, the payouts are not in line with the times and they love putting that burden on sponsors or wealthy racers who do not "need the money."

-I don't really watch the pros when I am there but they are the main reason I run national events. They bring in spectators who see my car, ask me questions about it, take pictures of it, etc. so I'm glad they have a plan in place for Pro Stock. Although I think the driving is the best and closest it has ever been, fan interest is down but can that be fixed?

-No mention of manufacturers' midway and the plan to offer a more enticing deal for them. Maybe part of new announcements..

-I could care less about a million dollar payout, I don't even know why that was a question but I could see how it could generate attention and media coverage toward our sport.

-I'm always hoping for more sportsman coverage

-Don't really think factory stock being elevated to the new pro stock yet because it won't fix a money problem. It will be a millionaire's game by it's third year, nothing will stop smart people from being smart or rich people from spending money. I have no solution to this one.

-Get rid of reserved grandstands, my buddy's first time there and I had to go all the way down to 1000' at New England. Looks terrible on TV when those starting line stands are empty. And for the love of Pete, ease up on the $40-$50 ticket prices!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #22
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I raced at Indy-Nationals in 1966.
Flat towed there and stayed in a motel.
We were young and had very little resources but going to Indy was a big goal for most racers back then. We made it to the class final and that was a pretty big deal to us.

I raced Englishtown's Summernationals a month ago and my motivation after all these years is simply because it is the top level of NHRA competition. Just like back in 1966....same deal.

It is also a social event as well but every race is for me and my friends.
We look forward to it and the time we spend having fun doing what we enjoy.

You either can afford it or you can't.
I have nowhere near the level of equipment many do and never have.
I don't let it bother me one bit.
The purse structure and contingency program is pitiful vs the costs but you either accept it or stay home.
I skip races and take time off just to keep the costs within reason.

I seriously doubt a change at the top of NHRA will mean much of anything at this point to sportsman racers.

It's all about the money as was said earlier......
It is many times more expensive at every level to race, run a track or run NHRA.....
NASCAR, Indy Car all the same deal.....Higher costs, lower spectators, sponsor money, etc.

TV coverage it seems to me is the only possible big revenue possibility....
If they could put an attractive show together and sell it ....

Sportsman coverage? That's Not gonna happen...
Old 07-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

I don't think that anyone is pointing the finger at the guys that have nice equipment and nice tow rigs, but I would have to think that is something that the NHRA brass
can't help but see when they come to the events. People spend their money however they choose. You could have just as much money tied up in an rv and dune buggies or wood working equipment or a beach house.

and as Bobby said, they "love putting the burden on those who can afford it."-because they can.

Just like for not for profit hospitals, they keep hiring more of their buddies as vp's and pay them 250K per year so they can hide profit and keep their non profit status.
They have a captive audience in their patients and for all intensive purposes, NHRA has a captive audience with sportsman racers. They have no incentive to change.

They could care less about getting a full quota of sportsman. They worry much more about having only 15 of 16 pros in a class than they ever will about having 128 sportsmen.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Bobby,
The -I could care less about a million dollar payout, I don't even know why that was a question but I could see how it could generate attention and media coverage toward our sport.
That was ask by a person making his living writing articles. I think It was just thrown out there to get a reaction so he would have something to write about.
I'm like you. a 1,000,000 winner means absolutely nothing to me.
What would do me more good would be loosening some of these rules that are costing me so much money. Cut out the Deal making with companies that provide some of these items. It costs so much to just get all the "required" little things bought just to get to the track. Esp if you can only race a few times a year. It is the small guy that doesn't have the vast disposable income that needs the help.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 07-03-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #25
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Before we get too far astray here...words DO mean things
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caring.png
Views:	237
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	29470  
Old 07-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #26
RJ Sledge

Liked 249 Times in 79 Posts

Bobby well said, only time will tell if the change in command will bring about beneficial change/improvement.

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #27
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
-I don't care who tows with what, the payouts are not in line with the times and they love putting that burden on sponsors or wealthy racers who do not "need the money."

-I don't really watch the pros when I am there but they are the main reason I run national events. They bring in spectators who see my car, ask me questions about it, take pictures of it, etc. so I'm glad they have a plan in place for Pro Stock. Although I think the driving is the best and closest it has ever been, fan interest is down but can that be fixed?

-No mention of manufacturers' midway and the plan to offer a more enticing deal for them. Maybe part of new announcements..

-I could care less about a million dollar payout, I don't even know why that was a question but I could see how it could generate attention and media coverage toward our sport.

-I'm always hoping for more sportsman coverage

-Don't really think factory stock being elevated to the new pro stock yet because it won't fix a money problem. It will be a millionaire's game by it's third year, nothing will stop smart people from being smart or rich people from spending money. I have no solution to this one.

-Get rid of reserved grandstands, my buddy's first time there and I had to go all the way down to 1000' at New England. Looks terrible on TV when those starting line stands are empty. And for the love of Pete, ease up on the $40-$50 ticket prices!
See above I agree....
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #28
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Here is my 1977 Chevy PU I just dug up out of the weeds of my buddies back yard of his shop. Has not been started in 9 years.Started right up. I used it to tow my 68 Impala back and forth to track in 2002-2005 I will use it again with an open trailer to get me back and forth with my 65 Impala in progress. In the Race car Build section. I cannot afford a nicer truck, an enclosed trailer ect plus I am building my 65 doing most of the work myself. But I WILL be racing, For a guy like me if I want to be real comfortable I'll stay home weekends, sell everything and.. play video games and watch Football.

Will Lamprecht Div 1 65 Impala I/SA 396/325 HP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow+Rig.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	29471  
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #29
Chris Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it just me or does "alternative lifestyle weekends" sound like getting naked and/or smoking dope? I know that would certainly be cheaper than drag racing!

Seriously, I have always thought that there are some great stories in sports, including sportsman drag racing, that could be told well enough to keep people's attention, and generate interest. It just never happens. I can't tell you how many times I have been watching NHRA on TV and it seems like they are just wasting time. Sometimes I even see cool sportsman cars driving by in the back ground, usually during some especially vapid interview segment.

There is no sport I can think of where I can compete against David Rampy or Dan Fletcher or Jimmy DeFrank. It would be like pitching to Alex Rodriguez at a softball game. Nothing compares. I know John Force and Big Daddy, they ask about my kids. They admire my car. Lebron James? Not so much.
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:50 AM   #30
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you guys are missing the point as far as sportsman racing. Who do you think the "fans" at a Natl. event come to see? Eric M. in my old gremlin?
they come to see the "pros". The low cash flow is divisionals. I could fill the stands with more butts with female mud wrestling than sportsman racing. The casual drag racing fan dedicated to sportsman racing is long gone. Whoever can figure out a formula to pack in divisionals and increase the gate will be the salvation of drag racing as a whole.
Any suggestions? Come on Billy you can think of something.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote