HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Duane Eiskant II

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: sunoco fuel

Michael is right, if you were looking for all out and have a tune up for each fuel you may not see a difference. C11 always worked best for my stuff, even "tuning up" for each fuel. The big difference in the fuels are Sunoco is petroleum based, and VP uses all man made additives (synthetic) i just always hated the slime feeling from Sunoco. IF by some chance VMP isnt pumping fuel for that weekend the closest place to get it that i know of is AED Performance off exit 64 on I-95. 804-271-6076 ext 3
Old 04-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Duane Eiskant II

Allen from VMP said they will be selling fuel, and its sunoco. I believe they use to get it from hank thomas down in north carolina but not sure if they still do or not. Hope it helps!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fletcher View Post
I'm sticking to VP. They've always treated me well and the fuel performs as desired. With that said, if I got jammed up and had to run Sunoco for a race here or there, which one would "cross" to C12? My research would indicate the "supreme". Does that seem correct? Thanks.
Here's the Motor Octane numbers for the leading race fuels. It helps when trying to figure out a crossover.
Sunoco 110 Motor Octane is 106
VP 110 Motor Octane is 107
Renegade Pro 110 Motor Octane is 108

Sunoco 112 Motor Octane is 109
VP C-12 Motor Octane is 108
Renegade Pro 112 Motor Octane is 109
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,791 Times in 571 Posts

I heard from other racers that Sunoco was not checking legal consistantly
at Vegas. I know one race bought a barrel fresh this Feb. and flunked
in Pomona and Vegas. So far no satisifaction or replacement from Sunoco to date. He is upset.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #15
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I ran Sonoco at Gainesville and Charlotte and had no problems. I bought it on site at both races though.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #16
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Octane is little more than "unburnable" stuff which allows you to run more timing and/or compression without getting into preignition/detonation. For real comparisons, you need to look at burn rates, density of the fuel, etc.

Here's a good resource for additional info on fuels. (I became aware of this page more than a decade ago, and I doubt it's been updated. It's possible that some formulations have changed, so check with the manufacturers):
http://www.smithtex.com/racing/fuelcomp.html
Old 04-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #17
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

On the DYNO c-11 and sunoco supreme 112 back to back no changes to motor not a bit of difference in HP
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have ran C-11 since i started racing but apparently at gainesville they would not let the truck in the gate i only had 2 gallons of C-11 left so i have to switch to sunoco so i figured run what is available at the track instead of draining the tank every race i cant get it if they still pay cont they should be able to sell it there just my thought
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Octane is little more than "unburnable" stuff which allows you to run more timing and/or compression without getting into preignition/detonation. For real comparisons, you need to look at burn rates, density of the fuel, etc.

Here's a good resource for additional info on fuels. (I became aware of this page more than a decade ago, and I doubt it's been updated. It's possible that some formulations have changed, so check with the manufacturers):
http://www.smithtex.com/racing/fuelcomp.html
That's a very good point, choosing a race fuel requires looking at all of the parameters. Motor Octane is the single most important factor, that's what allows you to make power without damage to the engine. The higher the Motor Octane number, the bigger the tuning window.
Specific gravity, or density, is also a useful number. But now days, the specific gravity doesn't vary much between brands of the same octane rating. Any change over or under .10 usually requires a jetting change of 1 jet size. For instance, moving from a race fuel that has a specific gravity of .710 to another brand with .715 wouldn't require a jet change normally. But going from .710 to .720 or .690 would require a jet change normally. And any change in specific gravity usually requires a float level check.
The above reference chart from smithtex is indeed very old, and should not be relied on for comparisons or information. All of the info is outdated, and many of the companies listed don't exist anymore.

Last edited by Mike Croley; 04-17-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #20
Duane Eiskant II

Mickey I agree they should let VP in to sell fuel specially since forever they were the fuel for NHRA. I had issues with the sunoco years ago then between the dyno and running down the track i set everything up for the vp and never looked back. Since im not selling it anymore, im going to switch from the C11 to the C12. C&C in Manassas sells the vp and they keep the C12, no body i know of stocks the C11. We use to carry it where i worked (AED in Richmond) but it was just so i would always have it..