HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #41
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Cylinder Heads....

I had Lee Shephard heads on my sbc. No funny stuff. Guess I was to dumb to realize that kind of stuff was going on then. MOPAR doing that doesn't surprise me. A locat custom paint & body shop was doing some of their SS altered wheel base body work. Had to know Dick (Huckins AKA The Bearded One) to get in the door to see them. Sox & Martin and Don Grotheer are two I saw with my own eyes, was told about others. They sent partial body panels with the tire openings to be patched it. Wasn't surprised when they were finally caught. Was not hard to see if you knew about it. Park them next to a legit car and it was easy to see, if you were looking for it. Wheels were moved 2" if I remember correctly. Everything was already moved when they came to Dick. Who would look for something like that going on in a small body shop, in an alley in Podunk Tulsa Oklahoma. LOL
Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #42
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Thats been said and worn out for years. Guys were porting and covering up the heads since the 60's in all the classes. Not just within 10 years

Ever wonder why you showed up at a race with your legal engine car back in the day and couldn't figure out why guys had you by 3 10th's. Was it because they could time an engine better? Better carb? better 3 angle valve jobs? No because of the whole package, most within the rules. A few items on the rules, maybe one or 2 over. Interpeting the rule book has gone on since time, and most likely back in the day you had to do it to race or even be competive. Dont act like everything was right and nobody broke the rules, been going on a long time. As we all get older, it all evolves. For better or worse. If somebody could invent a time machine we could all start over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
Today's Stock = 1970s SS
today's SS = 1970s Modified Production
What's next?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
The problem is, if every time someone cheats, the rules are changed to legitimize that cheat, sooner or later all the rules are changed, and the class no longer exists in the intended form.
Alan, you know what, I generally agree with most of your opinions. BUT, this one is incorrect on this topic. A couple of engine builders "allegedly" called and asked if they could get the rules loosened up. They were told yes. At that instant, its no longer cheating. Your working your *** off and getting it busted in a heads up by a rule change that cant be verified, YET.

Just like everybody knows about the legality of the bowl cuts and its nowhere to be found in the rulebook. Is this also an unwritten rule?

Thats all I'm asking.

Wade
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #44
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
NHRA Technical Bulletins or NHRA accepted. Porting,
polishing, welding, epoxying and acid-porting prohibited.
Combustion-chamber modifications prohibited.

The rule is simple you can not do any of that legally. So If you want to be legal as you say you can not get heads that have any of those things done.

In My opionion (that is worth pretty much nothing) The problem is they don't let the tech people do their job. And the cheaters need to accept the fact that they got got cheating and not run and get their lawyer. Face it any one that pays $5000 for smallblock Chevy stocker heads knows dam well that the heads are not legal acording to the rule book.
Nobody cares what is actually legal all they care is will the lack of proper tech let them run them anyway.
All this "mularky"...(hope I spelled that right)...for a supposed entry-level Class that emphasized
"fine-tuning", with a minimum amount of mods permitted. And lawyers too...

Think the "newbies" coming into the sport want to jump into this?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

There is no entry level class. Open the check book and come and play. It is real expensive.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #46
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,046 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Owens View Post
Alan, you know what, I generally agree with most of your opinions. BUT, this one is incorrect on this topic. A couple of engine builders "allegedly" called and asked if they could get the rules loosened up. They were told yes. At that instant, its no longer cheating. Your working your *** off and getting it busted in a heads up by a rule change that cant be verified, YET.

Just like everybody knows about the legality of the bowl cuts and its nowhere to be found in the rulebook. Is this also an unwritten rule?

Thats all I'm asking.

Wade
Wade, a lot of rules got changed after they had been violated at least once, often by a "big name" guy. I won't go into a list, but if you ask around, you'll find that to be an absolute fact.

A lot of them have been told, by an "official" to "go ahead, it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission". This too is fact, you'll find out if you ask the right people. It's really pretty common knowledge.

Read the "official policy" regarding rules, which, in effect states that "just because we do not tell you that you cannot, does not mean that you can". What that is supposed to mean is that "if we don't tell you that you can, then you cannot". The way that has ended up working, all too often, is that if the right person is not told specifically that they cannot, they go ahead and do it for a while, then after they get caught, everyone will eventually be told that they can.

As far as the chemical goes, there are ways of defeating anything like that. I'm betting that if you make the right phone call, you can find out how to get around it. I do not believe for a minute that you would actually do that.

I agree completely with the premise of your original post. The problem is, rules are often written in a vague and ambiguous manner, for the express purpose of being selectively enforced. Much as most of us would like the rules to be applied in the same manner to everyone, at every race, at every track, I would not hold my breathe waiting on it.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #47
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

The class has not been like that in 30 years. There are combos out there that can be run like you described. But not from J up. The newbees can race, just will not be killer right out of the gate. If they are looking for that, stick to bracket racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss wannabee View Post
All this "mularky"...(hope I spelled that right)...for a supposed entry-level Class that emphasized
"fine-tuning", with a minimum amount of mods permitted. And lawyers too...

Think the "newbies" coming into the sport want to jump into this?

Last edited by Todd Hoven; 06-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Todd Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
The class has not been like that in 30 years. There are combos out there that can be run like you described. But not from J up. The newbees can race, just will not be killer right out of the gate. If they are looking for that, stick to bracket racing.
Yeah, I know that Todd..but I was quoting (from memory)....a description of the Class from the NHRA rulebook...but I haven't owned one (or even looked at one) in many years!

Is it still worded like that TODAY?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #49
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Owens View Post
Alan, this is being done now. NHRA has a chemical spray that will detect any form of welding. It has already been used in a Tech teardown situation.

Wade
The only product NHRA should be using is Sprayon Welding Defect Detector.

http://www.sprayon.com/products/weld...ctor_penetrant

If they are just using dye penetrant and not everyone knows how to do it properly; it is very easy to botch the results gives inconsistent results.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #50
davidhuff

Liked 120 Times in 42 Posts

WOW,$5000.00 for a set of stocker heads.
davidhuff is offline   Reply With Quote