HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 90 Stock Foxbody Ignition Advice

Wanted to know what is the best rated ignition set up for a 90 mustang fox body in the stock eliminator class. Something that can be tuned and programmed and possibly monitored. Any help is very appreciated.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Jeff Blanchard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 90 Stock Foxbody Ignition Advice

Like most things, it depends how much you want to spend. With a Fox body, the easiest and least expensive way to have lap-top tune ability, that I have heard of, is with the Megasquirt system. They have an ECU that plugs right in to the factory harness. They call it MSPNP2 (plug-n-play). I think it has all the tuning laid out very similar to FAST or Big Stuff. It will data log, but I think it requires a lap-top to ride along in the car to do it. Requires a controller and wide band O2 sensor, also. (msextra.com)
Everyone will have an opinion on which brand is the best. In order to use any other system, you would have to install their engine wiring harness. Of course, yours is 25 years old. I hear a lot of good things about the support from FAST on their system. (fuelairspark.com)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Megasquirt works great. You can also use the factory computer and piggyback it with an Anderson PMS or Ford EPEC, although If keeping the stock computer is your choice, I would use a Moates Quarterhorse Chip and tune it using Binary Editor. It also allows data logging. I'm using this system in my 94 Pure Stocker, along with an AEM Wideband.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
rick978

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

how easy is binary editor to use . we to are running an 89 fox stock elim and have been on the fence on which system and software to purchase .i have very little if any tuning experience .are there downloadable tunes that can be easily adapted to start with ?? ive heard good and bad about binary and megasuirt . and what else do u need besides board ,software, wideband and laptop?
rick978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
Tony Corley

That's all you need to get started. Binary Editor is not the most user friendly compared to some aftermarhet stand alones, but it will do anything you want it too, and there is a lot of internet support for it. My suggestion would be to READ READ READ everything you can on EECtuning.org. Lots of guys on that forum to help out if you have a question. Once you start figuring it out, it is a great program, and the good news is, with a stock eliminator there are not tons of adjustments that need to be made. I like Megasquirt also, but I would have to buy a separate trans controller for my AODE, or use a Manual Valve Body.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tony, what if you have a Baumann shift control already? Would you recommend the Megasquirt unit?
Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Tony Corley

If you have a computer controlled trans and want to use Megasquirt, you have to use a Baumanator or something similar. As far as I know, and unless they have recently changed it, Megasquirt only supports engine functions. So trans has to have it's own separate unit, or a manual valve body. But the Megasquirt controller works great, especially for the price.

Last edited by Tony Corley; 04-13-2015 at 12:23 PM.