HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-23-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts
Default belt drive fuel pump in SS

Does anyone know if running a belt drive fuel pump in SS has been pitched to NHRA?

I sure do like that option, sure works well with bracket combinations.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: belt drive fuel pump in SS

As most good racers know the rule book is laid out in a "Stacked" form. That is why the rules pages for Super Stock classes seem to get less and less as you move through the rule book. Super Stock goes all the way from Section 9A (SS) to section 9G (SS/MX)
The GT/Truck section is 9C. At the top of the page under GT/Truck you will see: Requirements & Specifications for GT/Truck classes are the same as those for GT/Car classes- section 9B with the following exceptions.
When you read section 9C and nothing is mentioned in it about your area of interest you move back to the section 9B SS/GT and see if you can find what you are looking for. If it isn't there you go back to section 9A Super Stock.
The way I read an older(2009) rule book (only one I have here at home) I find that there is no mention of Fuel Pumps in Section 9C or 9B, but alas I find what I'm looking for in Section 9A under the ENGINE:1 section under Fuel System.
It says "Any Mechanical fuel pump and/or maximum two electric pumps permitted." Then the Fuel system goes on to tell how the electric pumps must shut off and you are allowed one cool can and you only are allowed 12" of rubber line connection. The last thing tells you to see General Regulations 1:5.
In Gen Regs 1:5 we find Fuel Systems again. It has some sub sections IE: Location, Tanks, Lines, and Pumps & Valves, Fuel/Air & last Alternative Fuels.
In the Pumps & Valves sub section the first line says that cars with non OEM pumps must have a quick action fuel shutoff valve within easy reach of the driver. The shutoff must be between the tank and the carb or injector.
After reading the rule book (my 2009) I would say in 2009 you had a real good case for mounting a belt driven fuel pump in SS GT/Truck class.
You need to read the current rules in a current book and discuss them with the Div 4 Tech director. That is how a tech person and racer should read and follow the rules. the only other thing that needs to be checked is to see if that is mentioned in the Tech directors Policy and Procedures Manual. That is a rules clarification book that we don't get in the mail. They do...
I just happen to know where there is a 2006 copy of the NHRA TECHNICAL POLICIES & PROCEDURES
Section 1.8 deals with fuel. It says nothing about Mechanical fuel pumps in SS. It does have a section about fuel check. Remember you have to give a fuel sample, creative plumbing, maybe.
Larry, You have a choice of doing it and not saying a word. Just show up and race. Or check with the div. 4 Tech to be sure.
Well, that is about it...

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-23-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts

how would you do fuel check at the end of the run?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Bob,
That is what I implied by "Creative Plumbing"
In my 2009 rule book under 1:5 Gen Regs FUEL SYSTEM Pumps/Valves the last line says: All cars in Stock, Super Stock, Comp & Pro stock must be equipped with a positive-lock drain valve located between the fuel tank and the carburetor(s) or fuel injection to facilitate removal of fuel samples for fuel-check purposes.
The way I read that the fuel sample valve doesn't have to be on the pressure side of the pump. It could be gravity feed from the line going into the pump.
Just my .02
Adger Smith

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-23-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Got a drain valve on the proposed fuel cell for the Mustang...guessing that will suffice.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
Adger Smith
VIP Member

must be equipped with a positive-lock drain valve located between the fuel tank and the carburetor(s) or fuel injection
Question? does that say "On the Tank"? Hummm I wonder if it will be good enough, too

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-23-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Bob Beal,

the simple answer is "idle the engine and draw a sample" However, it may be more complicated than that.

Or, take the belt off and spin pump with a drill motor
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Dragsinger
VIP Member

My reason for bring this up, after many rears of racing, from time to time I would have some "problem" with an electric pump.

Yet, after about 5 years of running a BLP belt drive pump not one single glitch. Idles with 2 - 3 pounds and adjust what ever high RPM pressure you want. Use a simple bypass regulator equipped with a small jet to set idle pressure. High RPM pressure is set with the adjuster screw.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Dragsinger
VIP Member

from a technical description stand point, a belt drive pump is engine mounted and mechanical.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Unfortunate they will not allow a fuel cell in the engine compartment.