HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2024, 02:30 AM   #11
Al Reed

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine assembly bench or engine stand

This is the answer, holds both ends of the engine, so no rear cylinder bore issues: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-1735b
Al Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:29 AM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,809 Times in 1,526 Posts

Ya know, if this is really such an issue, then shouldn't the engine be assembled with a transmission case bolted to it and sitting in the car, on the mounts?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:49 AM   #13
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,492 Times in 1,966 Posts

That’s some good thoughts Billy.
It would be fun to build one on the bench and dyno the engine. Take off of dyno remove heads and pan, loosen caps on mains and rods install on stand and reassemble then dyno.
With the block I run you can breathe on it and it changes.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:05 AM   #14
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,632 Times in 1,293 Posts

With all DUE respect, some of you guys just overthink this stuff…Reminds me of the LATE , GREAT Dave Lebrun. He towed with a ramp truck and he had the race car hoses plumbed into the hoses of the race car hauler …..
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #15
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,809 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
With the block I run you can breathe on it and it changes.
It's not that you don't have enough to think about Larry but did you ever wonder what happens to the front 4 cylinders when you come down from a wheelstand? Could there be some "pinching" going on there? I'm assuming that you have "stock" engine mounts.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-20-2024, 10:36 AM   #16
prostockpete1

Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts

Mr. Derby ...Bill Jenkins I think pioneered the hooking up the hauler coolant hoses to the race car engine to keep engine hot .. I do remember one year in late 70.s Jenkins pulled in to US Nationals tech in middle of night & turned off the hauler engine & immediately jumped outa the truck & fired up his noisey generator & pluged in 2 block heaters to keep race car engine hot all night & thu all weekend while pitted
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-20-2024, 11:06 AM   #17
Stan Weiss

Liked 545 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
Mr. Derby ...Bill Jenkins I think pioneered the hooking up the hauler coolant hoses to the race car engine to keep engine hot .. I do remember one year in late 70.s Jenkins pulled in to US Nationals tech in middle of night & turned off the hauler engine & immediately jumped outa the truck & fired up his noisey generator & pluged in 2 block heaters to keep race car engine hot all night & thu all weekend while pitted

I remember see Jenkins at ATCO do that, before he would even start the race car which was a BBC Camaro at that time.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:19 AM   #18
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,632 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
That’s a very good memory Peter, now we know why da GRUMP suffered from hearing loss ….

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 04-20-2024 at 11:21 AM.
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #19
Dan Bennett

Liked 356 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:

Bill had a specific reason for doing this. We talked about it a couple of times. It was due to the ZL1 aluminum block. He said it was a big problem having the cylinders go out of round after a heat cycle. So he decided to keep the block at temp 24/7 and said it helped a lot, but not a total cure.

From working with him, two of his major focuses were carb jetting and ring seal. I remember him asking for an engine to go back for a refresh long before other builders would. And no, it wasn't about making extra money. He insisted on everthing being within his limits, but anybody that knew him would tell you he was totally honest and fair.

And it also explained why some of his pieces were not so competitive after some time. There were two owners I remember who thought it was all bs and wouldn't agree to a refresh when he said it was time. He didn't rant and rave about it, but I could tell he did not like cars with his stuff in them going out there and struggling to qualify.

As for the block heat, he said the aluminum block was never as stable as the iron but it was the best workable solution he could come up with.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:16 PM   #20
Greg West

Liked 47 Times in 19 Posts

Maybe one of the piston ring companies or honing machine companies could run a test for everyone to prove this out. Hone a block to finish size, check all the bores with a PAT machine. Then mount the block to an engine stand and re-run the PAT test on all the cylinders. Compare the results.
Greg West is offline   Reply With Quote