HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-04-2024, 12:06 PM   #1
GrapeApe7575

Liked 325 Times in 70 Posts
Default Sonoma Changes

Anybody know the truth behind the rumors rurrounding Sonoma Raceway? Apparently the tower is being demolished and I've heard various opinions that it's just being relocated or replaced in another location, etc.

We certainly can't afford to lose any more tracks on the west coast but if any were to go away this would seem to be the most likely....at least for drag racing.
GrapeApe7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
Barry Polley

Liked 555 Times in 230 Posts
Default Re: Sonoma Changes

Morning Mark. I’ve sent a message and haven’t heard anything yet. Supposedly they are looking at options for the National.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:14 PM   #3
Drew7082

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I was told that tower operations are moving to the media center on the left side next to the garages. The tower crew should be able to see car #’s and dial ins just fine if we were to line up in front of the main grandstand like we do at the national event. Or they would likely have to radio every pair to the tower if we continued to use the normal staging lanes. The dragstrip manager was given VERY short notice that this was happening and is working on a plan for the (few) bracket races and wednesday night drags happening this year. Still doesn’t make sense to spend the time and $ on a demo and give up the revenue from the tower suites, all just because it was obstructing the view of a small section of their precious road course.
Drew7082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:32 PM   #4
Barry Polley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew7082 View Post
I was told that tower operations are moving to the media center on the left side next to the garages. The tower crew should be able to see car #’s and dial ins just fine if we were to line up in front of the main grandstand like we do at the national event. Or they would likely have to radio every pair to the tower if we continued to use the normal staging lanes. The dragstrip manager was given VERY short notice that this was happening and is working on a plan for the (few) bracket races and wednesday night drags happening this year. Still doesn’t make sense to spend the time and $ on a demo and give up the revenue from the tower suites, all just because it was obstructing the view of a small section of their precious road course.

Should??
That’s quite a distance and I’d need binoculars to see the dial from there..
There’s no view of the track ( only maybe starting line or second floor) from the Media Center.
Things went downhill from the covid years and continues..
Certainly hope things improve..

Last edited by Barry Polley; 03-04-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
Barry Polley

Message sent Drew.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:17 PM   #6
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts

I worked at a lot of tracks for DRC, small, large, and sometimes a bit scary.

Sonoma was the worst major event track I ever saw. The media center was totally blocked from seeing much of the track at all. Though it was a great location, it was clear they weren't that interested in drag racing even back then.

Others that come to mind are Brainerd and Norwalk. The building at the starting line was suites only, and if you were covering the race you were working in a rented construction trailer at the end of the track. Even if you stood at one of those high, narrow windows you could only see the tops of the cars over the wall. That made it hard to add any useful content on any run.

Norwalk was a special case that at least made changes. For years, there was no media center at all. Story I heard (totally unconfirmed) was that Bill Sr. was not a fan of the press after he read an article he didn't like. Things got a bit better years later when he rented an RV which was parked alongside the spectator side grandstand. And eventually he created a real place to work and give good coverage.

So a bit off the topic, but maybe some insight into why some reports are pretty dry and only include numbers from the clocks.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked