HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default One wire alternator hook up

Anyone running a one wire alternator on a small block chevy ? My battery is in the trunk,do you run the wire to the battery or to the disconnect switch at the rear of the car ?
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts
Default Re: One wire alternator hook up

Ive run my to the battery for years with no trouble. I did forgot to reinstall wire once when I pulled motor and batteries were up in the beginning of race and later in the day batteries went down and wouldn't start. Checked things out and saw the alternator wire just sitting next to battery and not connected. Dumb mistake.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

You can run it back directly to the battery...but it defeats the purpose of having a cutoff switch at the back of the car. The cutoff will shut the car off but it obviously won't kill all power since that alt wire will still be hot. And for the alt to charge properly you really should use a heavy cable like a #4 all the way back.
There's a few ways to accomplish shutting off all of the power. One is with a continuous duty solenoid or relay. It will only activate when the batt switch is on and shut power to the alt. when the batt switch is off. you can also buy a double pole single throw cutoff switch like a Moroso 74102 or a Cole hersee 75912. it has an extra set of contacts that shut the alt power off
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I run a 1 wire from East Coast Auto Electric in my Mustang. Wired directly back to the battery through a double pole cutoff from Moroso. Switch on the back kills everything. No run on. The only thing I don't like is that I lost my cockpit cut off lever in the setup. I could rig it back in but NHRA says one cutoff only.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Barneyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I wire cars I run 6 gauge wire from the alternater to a relay back by the battery then from it to the battery. I hook the relay wire up to your ignition so the wire going all the way up the car to the alternator is dead unles you have your ignition on.
BB
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

Not trying to steal the post but does it damage the alternator when routinely charging the battery ???
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

It's never hurt mine to charge. I run a one wire alt but I hook the charger up while cooling with water pump and fan on. My alt has been hooked directly to the battery and didn't give problems.
One side note about hooking directly to the battery. If your 1 wire alt does go bad it usually creates a drain on the battery. It will still charge but when the car is off it will drain the battery down.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked