HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Stirk18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default IHRA Super Stock Production class

Looking at all the possible combos for a 1969 Convertible Camaro came across the IHRA Super Stock Production class.

Got a couple of questions, hoping someone can relay some answers or help guide me in figuring out a few things.

1) It says Factory produced heads. Can we use IHRA approved replacement heads like some other IHRA/NHRA BBC combos list, or must they be a Factory original GM produced heads and the replacement heads are not permitted??

2)Where do I find the IHRA approved list of Carbs?? It states you can use any IHRA approved carb but I cant find a guide for anything on the IHRA site? Wasnt sure what was applicable from the NHRA lists? Just trying to figure out what the biggest carb one could use would be that is still legal?

3) Intake Manifold, my generic understanding is you can use any manifold aslong as it fits on the heads and fits under the hoodscope with the carb on?

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew
Stirk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Super Stock Production class

I have emailed questions to Mike Baker , and gotten answers back in less than an hour .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirk18 View Post
Looking at all the possible combos for a 1969 Convertible Camaro came across the IHRA Super Stock Production class.

Got a couple of questions, hoping someone can relay some answers or help guide me in figuring out a few things.

1) It says Factory produced heads. Can we use IHRA approved replacement heads like some other IHRA/NHRA BBC combos list, or must they be a Factory original GM produced heads and the replacement heads are not permitted??

2)Where do I find the IHRA approved list of Carbs?? It states you can use any IHRA approved carb but I cant find a guide for anything on the IHRA site? Wasnt sure what was applicable from the NHRA lists? Just trying to figure out what the biggest carb one could use would be that is still legal?

3) Intake Manifold, my generic understanding is you can use any manifold aslong as it fits on the heads and fits under the hoodscope with the carb on?

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew
You can use any factory part number head. Such as the Dart Buick, GM 18 and 15 degree aluminum heads for small block. Also GM SB2. Big block is the same way.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts

1) Yes, you can use approved replacement heads.
2) As far as the largest carburetor, the Dominator is legal.
3) Correct on the intake. You're allowed a snorkel scoop on a fiberglass hood as well. I seem to recall there may be a height restriction though?

I explored this option with my Hemi Coronet when I first started putting it together. The indexes were favorable, but the downfall is the NHRA crossover. You have to run SS/Modified in NHRA, and unless you are stupid quick on the IHRA index, you will barely make the NHRA Modified index. Essentially the potential for crossover is limited.

I would explore the option of building the long block to conventional SS rules, and just swapping the intake or lid if you wanted to run it in Production.

As stated before, Mike Baker is very easy to work with, and quick to respond if you cannot get in contact with him.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
Stirk18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
1) Yes, you can use approved replacement heads.
2) As far as the largest carburetor, the Dominator is legal.
3) Correct on the intake. You're allowed a snorkel scoop on a fiberglass hood as well. I seem to recall there may be a height restriction though?

I explored this option with my Hemi Coronet when I first started putting it together. The indexes were favorable, but the downfall is the NHRA crossover. You have to run SS/Modified in NHRA, and unless you are stupid quick on the IHRA index, you will barely make the NHRA Modified index. Essentially the potential for crossover is limited.

I would explore the option of building the long block to conventional SS rules, and just swapping the intake or lid if you wanted to run it in Production.

As stated before, Mike Baker is very easy to work with, and quick to respond if you cannot get in contact with him.
Thanks for the info. Reason we are looking at Production is that we have alot of older bracket racing blocks and heads that currently are close to making the power needed to break index with this combo... and truthfully we just need to get our feet wet class racing, and with no NHRA races near by and atleast some IHRA races as well as our local S/SS series, the production class gets us into Super Stock mode easier and cheaper then trying to build a regular SS combo....

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 03-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Quite a few years ago Mike told me when asked for the approved list of carbs for Super Stock Production:

"The production carb is any holley or holley types aftermarket unit"

I assume that still stands.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Larry L.

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Stirk 18 like Randy said the heads for your Camaro to run in super stock production must have a GM part number.
Larry L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
Stirk18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L. View Post
Stirk 18 like Randy said the heads for your Camaro to run in super stock production must have a GM part number.

Yup, we are good there, all three sets of heads have GM part numbers, the two aluminum ones and the Steels 990 castings.

Thanks for the help

Andrew
Old 04-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
jaf2021

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

any restrictions on the heads such as valve size,cc's or anything else or just as long as its got a gm part number you are good to go? also what is the difference between the pe-1/pea-1/pe-2 and pea-2 classes?

Last edited by jaf2021; 04-01-2017 at 07:05 PM.
jaf2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
joe collins

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

one is for 4 speed transmission one is for automatic transmission
joe collins is offline   Reply With Quote