Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #21
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts
Default Re: Gator class teardowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
My post regarding my "no teardown" combination was obviously a joke, but the more posts I read, the more serious the issue becomes to me. Dan is absolutely correct in his assessment of the situation. Stock and Super Stock have really never been "fair", because there have always been combinations that were unrealistically soft (at least for a while) and the OEMs have certainly had influence on rules and indexes, but if we are entering a period where there is effectively no tech inspection or teardown, I think as "class racers", we're done. Like everything else in life, the distribution of racers will fall under a Bell curve: there will be people who will adhere to the rules as a matter of integrity and pride, those who will be ethically OK with "bending" the rules, and those who will outright cheat. I think of what our society would be like without any police-type presence and I don't have to exaggerate much to assume that we would quickly become a lawless people, ruled by savages. With no penalty for cheating, those who would otherwise cheat freely (if there was no "cost" associated with being caught), will. Over the years, NHRA has completely lost it's way, and has entirely forgotten why it came into existence in the first place. I know it's been discussed to death, but it might be time for a Sportsman-only sanctioning body, that focuses ONLY on the racing, not $75 spectator passes, $30 t-shirts and $5 hot dogs.
X100!!

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #22
BRETV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Maybe I should start a separate thread for this and I will if it gains traction. I hear from many people who are currently involved and have been involved with NHRA the comment that "Stock and Super Stock costs NHRA money". That may be from management stating that there are costs associated with Stock and Super Stock that other categories do not have (which would include extra tech expense), or that they actually lose money on Stock and Super Stock because of the extra operating expense. I have never seen actual business level documents that have a cost breakdown associated with the categories (My! That would be a novel consideration!). Let's assume that NHRA's continuing reduction of tech services for Stock and Super Stock is partially due to the costs associated with maintaining an acceptable level of tech support. The question is, would you as a racer be willing to pay an extra "Tech fee" for National, Divisional and National Open races to ensure adequate tech service which would include guaranteed teardowns and monitoring?
Dwight, I was thinking about some type of tech service when I heard there were no teardowns, we need something or we're just bracket racers spending too much $$.

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #23
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

Started a long post and realised I was parroting what fordteacherguy said.
So, to recap;
1) ALL WINNERS UNDERGO TECHNICAL INSPECTION
2) "what happens if they don't pass?" rule changes
3) I would rather tear my car down at the end of the race and load it up and put it together at home

I think nhra has thrown up their hands and won't do tear downs unless another racer protests. The benefit for nhra is bare minimal cost to tech, no cost to police the class. Basically show up with your cars to run your little race during our race weekend with your own tech or whatever it is you class guys do. Don't bother us, just feed us $$ for using the track.

I remember seeing clippings of old nhra races (50-60's) where the winner was deemed illegal and lost the trophy so it wouldn't be the first time this has been done.

Sliding more towards the "factory appearing" racing then tight ruled class racing.....
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Most people here seem to be concerned with tech infractions of a mechanical nature involving performance and I agree that this could be an issue, but the electronic "cheating" is my biggest worry. Mostly a Super Stock problem. We could easily have a dozen (or multiples of) already among us. No tech - no risk of getting caught. I would consider paying an extra fee to police this even though we should not have to.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #25
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

An extra fee, what a novel thought, nhra doesn't bleed enough from racers so now you're volunteering money?

I got an idea, how about they use some of the membership fee's to pay for tech? I think most would gladly give up the other perks (magazine subscription, etc) Lol!

Edit: while you're at it, might as well throw some $$ their way to pay for allowing S/SS on the track during their races. (oh wait, that's supposed to be called entry fee isn't it?)
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #26
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,605 Times in 375 Posts

You want tears downs? They don't even tech cars ..lol They don't even do piston and rods at INDY ! Ship has sailed but I will keep going
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
BRETV

You would think since the new car manufacturers have jumped back in to S/SS spending millions of dollars, they would have discussed this with NHRA making sure that everybody was following the rules. But maybe not...
Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #28
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

I was told by an NHRA official last year that all 1.20 or more under runs would result in a teardown. My reply was that I thought it was a great idea.............
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I was told by an NHRA official last year that all 1.20 or more under runs would result in a teardown. My reply was that I thought it was a great idea.............
What about the .500 under racer that goes 4,5 or 6 rounds using bogus electronics? At what time are they going to check their combo?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Must be for division races only......