HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Question on 1978 & 1977 Chevy Nova 350

Why are they different horse power.1977 Nova 350 269hp & 1978 Nova 293hp, Both can use same pistons, cam, 450 head & intake 346249? My Malibu Wagon got Hp, twice, 1 time with Camaro & Corvette & second time with Camaro & not the Corvette. Tom
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
PJ305

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Question on 1978 & 1977 Chevy Nova 350

Tom, I was told because the 77 can't use the 520 aluminum intake therefore they are different! The better question is why the 77 Camaro received all the hp reductions the 77 Nova did! The Nova is an X body and the Camaro is a F body platform ?
PJ305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
rick winchester

Liked 190 Times in 31 Posts

Tom if you can figure that out you should be the national tech director. One optional intake that is only different in material alone damn sure is not 24 hp different than the other or even the14 hp it was before the last hit. Seems to me the 340,s where given a alum. aftermarket intake with no difference in hp . With that logic there should be one common hp on the chevys with a alum. or steel Intake . Same sh#t dinner from NHRA. I'm getting full myself. Rick
Old 03-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

The ahfs has suffered more abuse at the hands of nhra than a lab rat could ever sustain. One reason the numbers get out of whack is because the nhra guys decided they want to hit a certain racer or racers. They will then hook his/her combo up with anything that they can use to justify their actions. They absolutely don't care if the racers believe it or not. I received a couple hits that way. Knowing their little game - I called to ask for an explanation and all they had for me was authentic western gibberish. Finally after a long debate the guy said look you're getting power. I asked, but what about the other car that you used for a trigger. It had a higher average than mine and you didn't hit the other car. His answer was you're getting power and said good bye. Corrupt little game these fellers play. Then on the other hand the inept dorks in Glendora/Indy will sit on their thumbs and watch a guy sandbag for a year and give him more than 20 horsepower off - while the guy bragged about it to anyone who would listen. The best way to avoid these gophers is to race a unique combination.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Jerry Terry

Liked 448 Times in 132 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Question on 1978 & 1977 Chevy Nova 350

Rick I remember when this use to be fun but I think that was back when they just pumped
us at some tracks. Every once in a while i think i would like to get back in and then I wake up. LOL
Jerry Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
The ahfs has suffered more abuse at the hands of nhra than a lab rat could ever sustain. One reason the numbers get out of whack is because the nhra guys decided they want to hit a certain racer or racers. They will then hook his/her combo up with anything that they can use to justify their actions. They absolutely don't care if the racers believe it or not. I received a couple hits that way. Knowing their little game - I called to ask for an explanation and all they had for me was authentic western gibberish. Finally after a long debate the guy said look you're getting power. I asked, but what about the other car that you used for a trigger. It had a higher average than mine and you didn't hit the other car. His answer was you're getting power and said good bye. Corrupt little game these fellers play. Then on the other hand the inept dorks in Glendora/Indy will sit on their thumbs and watch a guy sandbag for a year and give him more than 20 horsepower off - while the guy bragged about it to anyone who would listen. The best way to avoid these gophers is to race a unique combination.
I don't disagree, Bruce. But I thin NHRA can read a public forum just like anyone else.
It's their ball and if they decide to go home with it; this forum can only help them make that decision.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
I don't disagree, Bruce. But I thin NHRA can read a public forum just like anyone else.
It's their ball and if they decide to go home with it; this forum can only help them make that decision.
What, and lose their cherished not for profit protections? They can't take their ball and go home because the executives don't own the ball. Don't be fooled by the arrogance in Glendora. I have to clarify what I mean by Glendora. I'm talking about the executive class, not the worker bees who actually make our sport work. In fact that is the most maddening thing about nhra. They do hire very dedicated, decent people who allow us to enjoy this sport. I have recently had the benefit of their help and certainly don't want to lump them in with the executives. Sorry about going off topic.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
nolongerracing

Liked 67 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moock View Post
Why are they different horse power.1977 Nova 350 269hp & 1978 Nova 293hp, Both can use same pistons, cam, 450 head & intake 346249? My Malibu Wagon got Hp, twice, 1 time with Camaro & Corvette & second time with Camaro & not the Corvette. Tom
Because someone took a "creative writing" course in high school !
nolongerracing is offline   Reply With Quote