HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #31
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Can We Un-ring The Bell

Some years back Wesley and I wrote a system for Stock and Super Stock. It was based on averages for different combinations and did not punish those who worked hard on their combination. It was fair, accurate, and based on what racers were running at the time. And of course NHRA would have no part of it but they did lower the indexes by 3 I think and did a couple of other things. Bob Lang was in charge then and you could at least talk to him. Still better than this mess we have now.

And to Billy Nees, during teardown with my 360 in my 09 Challenger DP, Bruce didn't like the 1/8 " spacer that came with the car. We had all the Mopar people there and explained it was an adapter that was hand made for the 360 and there were only 3 of them made which I had one. We assembled it without the spacer beause they would not give it back. However the car picked up about 1 to 2 mph without it. I never did get it back.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #32
tavirace

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

i have a 71 Pontiac Ventura I would like to race but its only legal with a 250 1bbl 307 2bbl or 72 Pontiac 350 2bbl, for some reason factored much harder than a 73. I do race it in street with the 250 and a weber 38/38 on it. If it was a Nova I could claim anything from 68 to 72 but with the wrong grill and fenders not much you can do with it.
tavirace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #33
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,839 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavirace View Post
i have a 71 Pontiac Ventura I would like to race but its only legal with a 250 1bbl 307 2bbl or 72 Pontiac 350 2bbl, for some reason factored much harder than a 73. I do race it in street with the 250 and a weber 38/38 on it. If it was a Nova I could claim anything from 68 to 72 but with the wrong grill and fenders not much you can do with it.
If you REALLY wanted to run Stock with THAT car, there's nothing wrong with the 250 or the 307. I've got a bit of experience with both. They won't win Class at Indy but they'll go comfortably under the index. The 350 needs help.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #34
tavirace

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Thanks for the reply Billy.I like the 250 and I know you are the expert on them. It seems to me that most run the 230, I figured the 1bbl would be even more strained with the larger cubes.
tavirace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #35
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
Some years back Wesley and I wrote a system for Stock and Super Stock. It was based on averages for different combinations and did not punish those who worked hard on their combination. It was fair, accurate, and based on what racers were running at the time. And of course NHRA would have no part of it but they did lower the indexes by 3 I think and did a couple of other things. Bob Lang was in charge then and you could at least talk to him. Still better than this mess we have now.

And to Billy Nees, during teardown with my 360 in my 09 Challenger DP, Bruce didn't like the 1/8 " spacer that came with the car. We had all the Mopar people there and explained it was an adapter that was hand made for the 360 and there were only 3 of them made which I had one. We assembled it without the spacer beause they would not give it back. However the car picked up about 1 to 2 mph without it. I never did get it back.
Jeff! Nice to hear from you! I hope all is well!
Yes, you and Wesley did a lot of work and planning on what eventually got turned into the AHFS. We spoke about it a few times. But, NHRA didn't come up with it so they had to come up with their own plan.
Now as far as that 1 of 3 hand made spacer, hmmmmmmm.

Reality, what a concept!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 12-27-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #36
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
and yet there are few, if any that ever get "spotted"! Is this because there aren't any to "spot"? Is this because there's no-one out there to "spot" them? Do the people in charge of doing the "spotting" know how to use all of this "real-time information" to put it to good use? Or are they just turning a blind eye to it all because (in the grand scheme of things) we just don't matter?
I can't think of someone that I would want the NHRA to look at. I just haven't noticed a racer with a pattern that would warrant the attention.

Do you have someone in mind?
Old 12-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #37
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I can't think of someone that I would want the NHRA to look at. I just haven't noticed a racer with a pattern that would warrant the attention.

Do you have someone in mind?
Now you're asking "loaded" questions! I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus.
EXCEPT for maybe Jeff with that 1 of 3 handmade spacer.

Reality, what a concept!
Liked
Old 12-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #38
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,488 Times in 1,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Now you're asking "loaded" questions! I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus.
EXCEPT for maybe Jeff with that 1 of 3 handmade spacer.
As more of an observer than racer lately, I can think of a few guys that I would start the electronic checking on, first.
No names from me of course.That's up to the current NHRA racers to help police this kind of thing. It doesn't look like NHRA cares much about this.

Remember the Div.4 guy with the Malibu? He won a couple of points meets in a row, before the Emmons boys made a point of observing the delay box action on the line.
No one else seemed to notice a thing.

On a similar note, maybe someone could tell me whether or not "drive by wire" is still legal in Stock? If it is , would it be possible for the high powered low 9 second FX cars to leave the line at, say 40% throttle, and then go WFO at a timed point down track?
Obviously carbed cars couldn't do this :-)
Old 12-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #39
Race Clean

Liked 129 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
To make them illegal after they have been used and accepted for so long would make a lot of expensive (xxxxxx) junk.
The phrase to use for adding "a new rule" in writing

Last edited by Race Clean; 12-27-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Race Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #40
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS340 View Post
Superseded parts and aftermarket aluminum heads.

Paul Haszlauer
C/SA 7019
Bingo! I voted no every time I was asked by NHRA if I wanted the Pontiac Edelbrocks. So much for a level playing field.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked