HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-21-2024, 12:28 PM   #61
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,488 Times in 1,704 Posts
Default Re: Crap, th350 emergency

Yes , when racers tell you you should have the converter cut open and cleaned and inspected , they are certainly correct.
However, you can take a chance,by not doing so, in your situation.
Most of the long term fine debris in a converter, ends up around the overlap, where the weld seam is, due to centrifugal force . That's probably not going anywhere.
It there's anything recent in there, it's possible to flush it up.

First thing you should do is set it on the bench and place a clear plastic tube all the way in and down to the pilot area. Siphon the remaining ATF out over the edge of the bench.
Then, if you have a parts cleaner, with fresh, clean solvent in it, place the tube all the way in and let it run for a while.
If you don't have that available, then pick up a gallon of mineral spirits and pour in as much as you can. Place a T350 input shaft in the unit and spin the turbine back and forth to stir up the fluid. Then quickly dump what you can into a clean pan. Finish by siphoning out the remainder of the solvent.
Then blow it out thoroughly , best you can .
If you haven't found a big chunks by now, you'll probably be okay, assuming the bearings and thrust washers aren't falling apart.

Disclaimer...You heard this from my ghost writer. Not from me.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:45 PM   #62
JP1738

Liked 312 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Dawson, based on your bolded comments above, I'd reinstall it and go race. Then change the fluid again after Gainesville. I've done the same numerous times over 3 decades without issue. I'm not a believer of cutting open converters to clean or "freshen". My converters only go back to the manufacturer if broken. Put a magnet in the pan if you already don't have one in there.

Who's converter are you running and what does it flash to and fall back to on the shift?
I had not considered running it and then changing the fluid, that's a fabulous idea and would help give me piece of mind. I don't know the converter brand, but I'll post a picture of what was stamped on the top and bottom of it so maybe someone will recognize it. The pan has a magnet, I'll make sure to clean it well and put it back when it goes back together. It's really hard to tell what the converter clashes to. The brakes aren't good enough to flash it in the pits, and first gear is so short I'm not sure what it goes to right off the line as the rpms climb so quickly. Looking back at in-car camera footage, it appears to flash around 4600 and fall to 5000-5100 on both gear changes. That was with the original intake that was on the car though, I don't have data on the new one yet, and it definitely made more power with it.

#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:09 PM   #63
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
I had not considered running it and then changing the fluid, that's a fabulous idea and would help give me piece of mind. I don't know the converter brand, but I'll post a picture of what was stamped on the top and bottom of it so maybe someone will recognize it. The pan has a magnet, I'll make sure to clean it well and put it back when it goes back together. It's really hard to tell what the converter clashes to. The brakes aren't good enough to flash it in the pits, and first gear is so short I'm not sure what it goes to right off the line as the rpms climb so quickly. Looking back at in-car camera footage, it appears to flash around 4600 and fall to 5000-5100 on both gear changes. That was with the original intake that was on the car though, I don't have data on the new one yet, and it definitely made more power with it.

Easy way to flash convertor. After a run on return road stop car and put in high. Floor throttle and watch tach for highest reading.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:35 PM   #64
dragracerray

Liked 123 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Easy way to flash convertor. After a run on return road stop car and put in high. Floor throttle and watch tach for highest reading.
I agree with Glenn. I think it is a little easier on the converter and trans if you mat the gas in high gear from a 10-15 MPH roll instead of stopped. Ray
dragracerray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:58 PM   #65
JP1738

Liked 312 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Yes , when racers tell you you should have the converter cut open and cleaned and inspected , they are certainly correct.
However, you can take a chance,by not doing so, in your situation.
Most of the long term fine debris in a converter, ends up around the overlap, where the weld seam is, due to centrifugal force . That's probably not going anywhere.
It there's anything recent in there, it's possible to flush it up.

First thing you should do is set it on the bench and place a clear plastic tube all the way in and down to the pilot area. Siphon the remaining ATF out over the edge of the bench.
Then, if you have a parts cleaner, with fresh, clean solvent in it, place the tube all the way in and let it run for a while.
If you don't have that available, then pick up a gallon of mineral spirits and pour in as much as you can. Place a T350 input shaft in the unit and spin the turbine back and forth to stir up the fluid. Then quickly dump what you can into a clean pan. Finish by siphoning out the remainder of the solvent.
Then blow it out thoroughly , best you can .
If you haven't found a big chunks by now, you'll probably be okay, assuming the bearings and thrust washers aren't falling apart.

Disclaimer...You heard this from my ghost writer. Not from me.
Thank you Mark Yacavone's ghost writer, I will do this tonight before reinstalling my transmission and converter.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:34 PM   #66
Eman

Liked 108 Times in 62 Posts

At the least flush out or replace the cooler, that is where debris can be found. Buy a couple of neodymium magnets and put them in the pan in the future.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:18 PM   #67
Kingpen

Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts

Sure looks like an ATI number on pilot ,you should call and talk to Charlie Plott,he can tell you for sure…..Victor Penrod
Kingpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-21-2024, 11:58 PM   #68
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,488 Times in 1,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpen View Post
Sure looks like an ATI number on pilot ,you should call and talk to Charlie Plott,he can tell you for sure…..Victor Penrod
Yup, and looks like their cover.They aren't really billet, but cast and machined.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:33 PM   #69
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

It looks like you are in Charlotte, Ultimate Converter Concepts is right up the road in Cornelius, NC. 704 892 6880
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-22-2024, 06:52 PM   #70
jim reynolds

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstickff View Post
Big Head I mean Big Ed…you have officially reached a new low…as in low life, your a real POS, picking on a kid racing his first ever stock divisional and having issues. And you’re here giving him **** like you do every single post on here. I think you are real trash and a big mouth. I bet when you first started racing you were perfect, even tho you havnt done a thing yourself in decades, just stop! Go polish the wheels for your son it’s probably all you’re actually good at, or maybe use your mouth for polishing some knobs I’m sure your perfect at that too!
this Needs a LOVE button!!!
jim reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote