HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default "Old School" Stocker Cams

I was reading the Jr. Stock book by Doug Boyce and came across where a guy went down to Lunati's shop to pick up a Stocker cam for his 56 Chevy M/SA car and how the Lunati cam really woke up the 265 and how he was able to run under the record with it.

Having somewhat of a idea on how the old Stock duration and stock lift cams worked, I would like to hear more about how these camshafts worked including with the stock valve spring rules?

This is just for winter discussion fun..Thanks !

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala 396/325
Have Jerico for it.
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: "Old School" Stocker Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post
I was reading the Jr. Stock book by Doug Boyce and came across where a guy went down to Lunati's shop to pick up a Stocker cam for his 56 Chevy M/SA car and how the Lunati cam really woke up the 265 and how he was able to run under the record with it.

Having somewhat of a idea on how the old Stock duration and stock lift cams worked, I would like to hear more about how these camshafts worked including with the stock valve spring rules?

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala 396/325
Have Jerico for it.
They actually checked lift and duration. Also checked springs.
Liked
Old 12-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,782 Times in 1,521 Posts

The best cam that I ever had in my 307 Chevy was an old CamDynamics Jr. Stock cam. As best I can remember it was a 929-G.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Also part of the spec was "checking clearance" The duration was measured after the lift at the valve hit the opening checking clearance then finished when the lift was at the closing checking clearance . It was good to have" big" checking clearances sent in by the factory . Overlap was checked the same way . NHRA tech had a really trick Degree Wheel that simplified the checking process .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Our Div 4 head tech inspector, Red Anderson, was also a good machinist. He made, and sold a really trick degree wheel.
I had one of those Lunati Jr Stock cams in my ‘56 when I set one of my records. During tear down Red told me “this thing does hit the numbers, but the ramps are way fast. I’m going to pass it this time, but we both know it’s wrong. I don’t want to see it again.
Ran just as fast with a Cam Dynamics, which Red liked better next time he tore me down. The Lunati looked like a roller cam. Almost square lobes. LOL
Old 12-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

The "square lobe" cam profiles are known as "dwell" lobes. With a dwell lobe, you can basically put a lifter on top of the lobe and it will not fall off!

Don Teweles at General Kinetics, along with Joe Lunati were pioneers on dwell lobe Stocker camshafts in the early days. Cam Dynamics also created many Stocker dwell cams that were crazy fast too.

After Don shuttered General Kinetics, my preferred brand was Cam Dynamics when Glen Steyer's was still at Crane Cams.

Let's not forget that in the early days, although they checked duration, lift and overlap, the OEM's had submitted some crazy camshaft specs too, especially regarding overlap.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
The best cam that I ever had in my 307 Chevy was an old CamDynamics Jr. Stock cam. As best I can remember it was a 929-G.
327ci /275hp

We ran a 929-D....

Wild and crazy guys who wanted to run a valve spring killer
Liked
Old 12-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
The "square lobe" cam profiles are known as "dwell" lobes. With a dwell lobe, you can basically put a lifter on top of the lobe and it will not fall off!

Don Teweles at General Kinetics, along with Joe Lunati were pioneers on dwell lobe Stocker camshafts in the early days. Cam Dynamics also created many Stocker dwell cams that were crazy fast too.
I am confused? The cam in my 396/325 BBC has that "'square lobe" being only a .398 lift cam too. Isn't that due to the duration in the cam? So if you had too use Stock durations back then..how could they have square lobes? I was thinking they changed the LSA from stock for more overlap..
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
I am confused? The cam in my 396/325 BBC has that "'square lobe" being only a .398 lift cam too. Isn't that due to the duration in the cam? So if you had too use Stock durations back then..how could they have square lobes? I was thinking they changed the LSA from stock for more overlap..
Lift stays the same it just gets to max lift quicker and stays there longer until it slams back down on the seat....
Old 12-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #10
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala 396/325
Have Jerico for it.
George Widuch had a huge influence in the design and testing of the early Stock and Super Stock cams from Lunati. George is brilliant.