Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #21
BobbyH

Liked 59 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Live from Indy; I mean LAURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyphish View Post
Yep, in Westlake, La. which stands for west side of "Lake" Charles. I will give "blow by blow" (pun). Have spent the last 2 days getting things in order and stowed. Built this house after Rita and it has all the code required clips but this will be first test. We are secluded with only Sam Houston Park as our across river neighbor so no houses or neighbors. We lost 80% of our forest in Rita. Main house is on the bluff 25' MSL with a generator and have 3 familys here for the night. We have structures in the flood plain and will post some pics as it unfolds. Gonna' be a long night. Moderator, move to the lounge if needed but S/SS is my peeps. What is odd, we are in a bird sanctuary and not a bird anywhere. Also at daybreak the rain frogs were singing. Current conditions is breezy, hot and a ghost town. Stephen Hebert aka Spyphish aka PANHEMIC. See you at Indy LOL
Praying for y'all
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #22
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts

So when the eye of the storm hits the shore, and it is spinning counterclockwise is the storm surge higher on the east side of the eye ? As you said it looks like Lake Charles was in the center of the path. Concerned for friends in Orange TX, slightly west of you. Glad your family is ok
Old 08-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #23
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Casey View Post
So when the eye of the storm hits the shore, and it is spinning counterclockwise is the storm surge higher on the east side of the eye ? As you said it looks like Lake Charles was in the center of the path. Concerned for friends in Orange TX, slightly west of you. Glad your family is ok
Yes Dave, the storm surge is higher on the east side of the eye. The front right quadrant of a hurricane is where the strongest winds are.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #24
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Storm surge is also relevant to location and geography as well. As Bill stated above the upper right hand quadrant of a hurricane is always the strongest part of the storm and will also contain multiple tornadoes. In our situation where I live our rivers flow east towards the sounds and even if the center passes just to our east it is devastating because the rotation blows all the water from the sounds up the rivers and floods the inland areas. In Florence a couple years ago the eye came from the east and passed south of us and we had the greatest surge of my lifetime, our river house had 10 feet of water under it and the highest I had ever seen was 64 inches.
I hope all my Bayou buddies are safe we've been praying for you all!
Old 08-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #25
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts

Thanks for the info. Coincidentally James, my brother owns a home near you in Cedar Island, right down the road from the ferry. I understand how it works there, he told me there was less damage from the last one at his place then over by where you are. Good luck to all
Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #26
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We were lucky down here. Marco just fell apart, and Laura went to Phish instead of us. We still have wind and rain coming in. In that same track Rita went in 2005 and did lots of damage. By far the worst was Audrey in 1957. My ex brother in law's family lived close to the coast. He lost 6 people when the surge (still don't k now how high) blew the house apart, killed his mother and father, sister and her husband and two others that were riding out the storm there. Never recovered any bodies. Exact path as Laura. Never know what these storms might bring. For Katrina a friend of mine had a large helicopter facility at the mouth of the river. It had a 26 ft roof to park 19 passenger helicopters to service large rigs in the gulf. Found lots of dead fish on the roof. And it looks like Laura might go to Bowling Green.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #27
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

Here in North Louisiana, we got some wind & rain. LOTS of trees down. LOTS of power lines down. Power not expected to be restored for several days.

The bucket truck guys will be busy for quite a while in this storm's trail of destruction.

My nephew had lots of damage to his place, near Lake Charles. He brought his family up here, which was a REAL good move. A friend of his rode it out & sent him pics of what's left of his stuff. They could have been injured, or worse, had they stayed home.

He said at least he'll get to use the high priced insurance he's been paying for. I suppose living close to an ocean is nice, until a storm comes. I love Cajun music & food, but don't like their hurricanes.

I remember the 1st time I ever heard of Cameron, LA. I was in grammar school, when a big hurricane came thru.

http://hurricanescience.net/history/.../1950s/audrey/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...20the%20region.

Last edited by oldskool; 08-27-2020 at 08:12 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #28
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Stay Safe.. My son lives in Erath. that is pretty close to Larry Meaux .
Hope Larry makes it OK.. My son and his wife (local gal) evacuated north about 30 miles and at a 35Ft MSL.

Adger, Bourgeois talked to Larry Meaux today and all is fine.

Greg
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #29
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Casey View Post
Thanks for the info. Coincidentally James, my brother owns a home near you in Cedar Island, right down the road from the ferry. I understand how it works there, he told me there was less damage from the last one at his place then over by where you are. Good luck to all
Wow Dave, it's a small world isn't it! Your brother is at the end of the world down there. You talk about a real quiet place, Cedar Island is it!
Old 08-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #30
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 228 Times in 78 Posts

Phish...Glad to hear You and Family are OK . Jake and Elwood knew it was 972 miles to Indy, they had a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it was dark out and they were wearing sunglasses. So they Hit it. Take care...MB.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked