HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #21
thomas sheehan
Photographer

Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Damn...305 superstock engine receives 15 hp.....

That is very true Herb.
I agree... both should get
Old 10-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #22
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Looks like the 15 horsepower increase to 255 is for replacement heads in S/S. The horsepower for OEM heads does not change.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #23
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas sheehan View Post
Not true James... this only goes one way. (SS car goes fast- hit GT hp too)

3800 lb big air grabbing chevelle (or worse- some big wagon) running SS. Racer takes that motor combo and puts in GT car (cavalier?). Definite advantage for the more aerodynamic cavalier.
Thus, GT cars were given a separate HP from SS cars. If a GT car goes fast, it should not effect the SS cars (only SS cars going fast should hit both HP'er)

GT HP should NEVER have hp lower than the SS same combo.

But you are right about one thing.. NHRA probably won't change it... BUT they should.

I have to agree. It's only common sense that an engine irregardless of the name on the fender will be quicker in a lighter car. IMHO there are several combinations in the guide that would be killers in a minimum weight GT car.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #24
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

If you look at a 283 220 hp in SS, 233 in gt and Chevy IIs and 218 in a Chevelle. HP in a regular SS stick is higher than GT. Tom
Old 10-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #25
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Racer View Post
I don't like to speak for my brother but he don't do the internet. He received a gift of some horsepower in SS/GT earlier in the year. The offender laughed about it and said he don't run GT and didn't care. My brother spent thousands of dollars and had his Firebird changed from a 92 to a 87 Fromula with circus paint from Steve Mc Creary so he could pay back the favor. The car was entered at Rockingham as an 1987 Firebird Formula. The pass on the car was pretty weak as the 60 foot was a 1.38. David said he cracked the thrtottle and the MPH was maybe 131. Dave ley came by and sealed the engine. I convinced my brother to tear down early and not make a run that could have easily picked up a tenth. Every one picked up a tenth the next morning. I figured he still had a an easy 1.25 under after the horsepepower.The next morning it would have gone in the 9's in ss/la. Why the 1988 to 1992 305got the hit I don't know.
After looking back at the last comment I made on my post I realized this was a shotgun statement, in poor taste, certainly made with poor judgement, and it was removed. I was in no way speaking of the officials on site at Rockingham and my apologies go out to them. All were professional, helpful, performed their job well, and I commend them for the job they do. They are an asset to NHRA. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #26
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas sheehan View Post
Not true James... this only goes one way. (SS car goes fast- hit GT hp too)

3800 lb big air grabbing chevelle (or worse- some big wagon) running SS. Racer takes that motor combo and puts in GT car (cavalier?). Definite advantage for the more aerodynamic cavalier.
Thus, GT cars were given a separate HP from SS cars. If a GT car goes fast, it should not effect the SS cars (only SS cars going fast should hit both HP'er)

GT HP should NEVER have hp lower than the SS same combo.

But you are right about one thing.. NHRA probably won't change it... BUT they should.
I agree to start it shouldn’t. I guess I was considering that GT already had some et penalty built in as well. Maybe not alll, but the ones that I look at. For example. If you look at the 9-9.5 lb weight breaks for SS and GT, the index for SS is .15-.2 slower than GT.

I think the same consideration for combining stick and auto classes can be made. For some, but not all classes. In my view, their are several classes like GTF-GTH,that could be combined. The hp is much higher in automatics for these classes because the indexes were too slow to begin with. Most of the good automatic stuff with Radials can run with a stickshift.

I know this doesn’t apply to all combos but if NHRA wanted more heads up races, they could do this with at least some classes.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #27
bykr

Liked 167 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I agree to start it shouldn’t. I guess I was considering that GT already had some et penalty built in as well. Maybe not alll, but the ones that I look at. For example. If you look at the 9-9.5 lb weight breaks for SS and GT, the index for SS is .15-.2 slower than GT.

I think the same consideration for combining stick and auto classes can be made. For some, but not all classes. In my view, their are several classes like GTF-GTH,that could be combined. The hp is much higher in automatics for these classes because the indexes were too slow to begin with. Most of the good automatic stuff with Radials can run with a stickshift.

I know this doesn’t apply to all combos but if NHRA wanted more heads up races, they could do this with at least some classes.
The stick vs. auto heads up races would be interesting too.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #28
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykr View Post
The stick vs. auto heads up races would be interesting too.
Let's see .SS/L , 11.25..SS/LA , 11.45

Mmm-mmm,...Sure.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #29
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Let's see .SS/L , 11.25..SS/LA , 11.45

Mmm-mmm,...Sure.
Maybe not a powerglide 283 but oh wait a minute, they don’t have to run powerglides anymore.

And of course, this SSLA could hold its own with any SSL car

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r=100#indextop

I know it isn’t perfect for all classes, but the stick and auto is closer than ever. If the autos had the same index as the stick cars they wouldn’t have to spend most of their time slowing the car down to avoid hp.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #30
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Maybe not a powerglide 283 but oh wait a minute, they don’t have to run powerglides anymore.

And of course, this SSLA could hold its own with any SSL car

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r=100#indextop

I know it isn’t perfect for all classes, but the stick and auto is closer than ever. If the autos had the same index as the stick cars they wouldn’t have to spend most of their time slowing the car down to avoid hp.
Talking Stock here..Not S/S
I suppose , if the stick guys spend enough on the clutches and R&D, they could match the automatic 60' s ,and then run the bigger speeds, they would be okay.
I never did like the combined idea, and still don't.