HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default getting older--night vision

The question is what,or how to compensate for losing the sharpness in your eyesight as you get older? I used to love racing at night.I was younger,had 2010 vision.now as I have gotten older I wear glasses,would not even get in my race car without my glasses.still have the burning desire to race,am good at it.but do not like racing at night as much as I used to.I just thought this would be a good question to ask what you can do,have done? I had special glasses made that where non fogging & non glaring lenses that help a lot. checked in to lasik surgery but was told my vision is not bad enough for it,and lasik can make the glaring issue at night worse.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
cdh124

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cdh124
Default Re: getting older--night vision

I had developed poor night vision also. Six months ago my eye doctor told me that the cataracs in both eyes were bad enough to have surgery and my insurance would pay for the cataract surgery. He referred me to an eye doctor in Jackson, Michigan. During the surgery they did the cataract surgery and did lens implants to correct my vision and within two days I had 20/20, vision. I had astigmatism very bad 80/20 vision., the lens cost $825 each eye. New glasses would be at least $800.00 The first race I could not believe how clearly I saw the tree. I am 64. I would do this again.

Doug Humes
cdh124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,663 Times in 851 Posts

One cautionary note; while they always aim for 20/20 with the new lenses there is no guarantee My wife just had the surgery and only ended up with 20/60 but that may have been complicated by lazik surgery years ago. Fantastic when anyone gets corrected 20/20 but everyone is different and a professional evaluation could give you a good idea. BTW the cataract surgery is a snap so no concern there.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
older racer

Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

hi, try yellow shooting glasses . Bausch and lomb make them. very help full for night racing. been using them for years.
older racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well I have some experience in this area had my vision corrected to 20/20 by radial kerotomity (before LASIK was available) at first night vision was horrible with points of light appearing a large star bursts got better with time.then I developed cataracts in both eyes had surgery on one eye twice and it's still not very good (horrible actually) the other eye still has a cataract but it's now my good eye!.
Have worn eye glasses most of my life and you need to be careful if your racing at night when it's cool out, with a full face helmet. I have actually had both the visor and my glasses fog up at the same time the visor will usually clear out when you get some air moving around it. So I learned to drive while holding my breath until the car starts moving.
Usually the track surface is lit well enough to see but some return roads are so dark that I have to wait for someone that I can follow back to the pits.( I'm considering putting some driving lights on the front of my dragster)
So cataract surgery is not a piece of cake if you have had RK and you need to be cautious wearing glasses.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts
Cool Re: getting older--night vision

My issue was the glare of the tree, as a bottom bulb racer the lights went into each other, one big light.

I tried different things, for example look up at the track lights which are bright to dim the tree lights, I tried having some light in my racecar to lesson he brightness of the tree and finally went with the yellow sunglasses which helped.

Love to hear what others are doing.

P.S. My vision is 20/20 it is the glare that confuses me at night.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
nickh

Liked 211 Times in 92 Posts

I too have worn the yellow shooter glasses for night racing, it takes the glare out and I can see the tree better at night. Right now my vision (54) is going away for reading so I buy the cheap readers to read with. They performed vision test on me when I was working on my certified welding inspector license, long vision is good just cant leave my cheaters at home to read something...LOL
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote