Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Dommination of FI cars.

A carb meters air & fuel and so does an FI system. I've been able to alter A/F ratio's on a carb (on an engine dyno) along with BSFC numbers to my satisfaction in both Stock and Superstock. And that's using a 4300 Autolite; a carb with no secondary jetting or metering rods. And I would be willing to bet most small block cars (as I believe all the FI cars in S/SS are running a small block) cars have more carb than they need (i.e., T-Quad & Q-Jet). So I could care less about injector sizing or even spray pattern. I would think the tip-in of an automatic transmission FI car would be easier to manage as your not dealing with pump shot and secondary air-valve opening rates. But all those "problems" have been solved bythe sharp tuners.
The bottom line is (like Evan Smith said), they all perform the same functions just in different ways. Some can't even figure how to tune a carb so don't knock a system such as FI when you would be even more lost! I predict there will be more heads up runs in '08 and I agree whole-heartedly this is the best way to go along with counting more runs. The fast cars will be forced to show their hands and the HP factors will adjust accordingly. I would love to see a maximum weight overage also; either 100#'s or must race at next higher class; no 300# overweight cars.