HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts
Default Jr Dragsters At Divisionals

Since Bobby's thread has gone way off topic, I thought that I would start a new one on the role of Jr's in NHRA competition.

My opinion is that there are no negatives. The Junior program is a great educational opportunity. It brings families together. It also adds a little income for the hosting facility.

These kids are the future. Sure, a good percentage will move on to something else. On the other hand, we have quite a few kids that came from Jr's racing with us in Stockers in Division 2.

I will add that six of this year's Champions came from Jr's.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
Ok stocker

Liked 101 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Jr Dragsters At Divisionals

I could not agree more. I had two kids in juniors and we had great family fun. Travelled a lot as a family and it keeps your kids excited about racing and away from many bad influences.
Ok stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:07 AM   #3
ZenzenRacing

Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts

That was a ton of fun, both kids in Jr's! We went thru 4 cars and they both went into S & SS! I'd do it all over yet today!
ZenzenRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,872 Times in 642 Posts

Anyone that can't see the value the Jr's bring to our sport or the future of our sport is being just plain selfish. It's kind of like some of the people that complain about the .90 classes, if you can't see that there is value in the other classes your just living in your own little self centered world.
You should be commended also Daren for your support of several Jr racers also it doesn't go unnoticed even though I know that's not what it's about to you. Yes some of these kids will move on to something else but every one that keeps going is vital to the future of our sport.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
MoJo Risen

Liked 64 Times in 21 Posts

I can see the huge out pouring of Junior Dragter support here on clasracer... Congratulations Gump!

It's great to see at divisions because it really
Shows off the most basic form of "karting". I think it's special that we offer a place for the less fortunate children to show they too can have a place to strut their stuff.

I also like that it gives me more time at the track while they take their time to get staged and do mock burn outs to simulate warming up their tires as I reflect at the whole existential crisis of todays world of drag racing and where it has been and what it now has become.

At my local track they even went a step further and brought a "KIDS POWER WHEELS" class into to schedule. I'm so excited!
Class rules are as follows.
5 volts to 40 volt battery allowed.
Helmet required, Bicycle helmet is okay.
Gloves, long sleeve shirt, closed toes shoes, knee pads, elbow pads.
.500 sportman tree.
10 DOLLAR ENTRY FEE WINNER TAKES ALL
Unfortunately this class will not run the full 1/4 mile. :-(

I will start lobbying for all these under age classes to start running a full quarter mile because they deserve the whole track and not just the 1/8 mile.

Meanwhile in real Karting world of 7 year olds..

Last edited by MoJo Risen; 11-26-2023 at 11:33 AM.
MoJo Risen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
Charles Stewart

Liked 481 Times in 146 Posts

Mojo Risen,
Your post make me thinking of a JR Dragster school summer camp like the Frank Hawley's school for one or two weeks including school class, track time, eating and sleeping at the track. This could be a good way to invest in the future of the sport.
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

Careful what you wish for
In division 1 we get a bunch and it adds quite a bit of time to the program
Old 11-26-2023, 06:54 PM   #8
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

exactly!

As was stated in the "make divisionals great again" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
My complaint with running Juniors at Divisionals is the same as running Summit ET/local bracket cars and other eliminators such as WW Williams .90 eliminators, they take runs away from traditions classes. This stretches the event out an extra day, reduces qualifying runs and forces the eliminator to start on Saturday. Less runs for increased costs, not to mention getting pushed out to less desirable pit areas.
Most class racers feel the same. The only ones that don't is those that had or have a child or grandchildren competing in juniors.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:23 AM   #9
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
Careful what you wish for
In division 1 we get a bunch and it adds quite a bit of time to the program
I can't speak for other Divisions, but in Division 2 we have a very well run program. I will often go up and watch them run.

As I don't manage the Division, I can't speak for the time that they take up. I do know that our Division Director is "All about the schedule". So, I doubt that he would put up with a lot of delays from them. From what I see, they go up when called and make their passes in an organized and timely manner. Super Street is the same. Stock Eliminator is another story. Especially when pairing for round one...

Again, I don't see them as anything but a positive. "I don't like them" is not a valid argument.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #10
Bandit 1

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Think they work well in some divisions, but others might be a challenge. Some events in D3 can be over 600 on the regular and was over 700 for the Double at WWT Raceway. I am all for opportunities to welcome in the next generation along with families getting to compete at the same events.

Not sure it's the best idea for all Divisions but should be considered after all the factors are looked at. Now if all events were 2 hits, then race, sure it would work with larger counts. Again, so many factors or directions to go. No wrong or right way to handle in my uneducated opinion.
Bandit 1 is online now   Reply With Quote