HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #11
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Jr Dragsters At Divisionals

Yes, it's something very different and takes up time and pit space.

But it seems pretty ironic to me that we're arguing about how to gain more new racers at the same time.

Check out how many standouts in the top racing series (like F1) started out in karts. It's a bit differnent because it's a different series and venues. But it's still a big shot in the arm for gaining more participants as they age into higher forms of racing.

I got into the professional side of drag racing through Pro Stock. And though the early hype was sometimes unsufferable, I'll point out that one of the best drivers I've ever seen (still trying to decide if she is better than Jeg was) went from juniors all the way to being on the edge of setting records for championships.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:51 PM   #12
dragracerray

Liked 122 Times in 57 Posts

But it seems pretty ironic to me that we're arguing about how to gain more new racers at the same time.

Don't we all "look up" to the next class?
-when I had a street car I looked up to a dedicated race car
-when I had a bracket car I looked up to S/ST
-when I had a S/ST car I looked up to Super Stock
-when I had a SS car I looked up to Stock (now I am in trouble)
-I have always looked up to Pro Stock, probably won't get there

Who do you think the Juniors look up to? ALL of us. I would hate to see Juniors racing outside our community. We need to support them, nurture them and become their friends!
Merry Christmas,
Ray
dragracerray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #13
DG

Liked 323 Times in 80 Posts

I think its safe to assume most everyone agrees Junior dragsters are good for the sport. Its important to realize they have their own Junior dragster racing series apart from our series. The question is should they also run at Divisional races.

Last edited by DG; 11-27-2023 at 03:00 PM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #14
cgall

Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts

No, they take up too much time. When Juniors are running, no cars are allowed to be going to the lanes. They are not allowed to drive back to the pits, they have to be towed. Some of their rigs are of pro racer size.

There are more than enough local, regional and finals Junior races to keep teams busy all season.
cgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:24 PM   #15
dragracerray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgall View Post
No, they take up too much time. When Juniors are running, no cars are allowed to be going to the lanes. They are not allowed to drive back to the pits, they have to be towed. Some of their rigs are of pro racer size.

There are more than enough local, regional and finals Junior races to keep teams busy all season.
I disagree. Juniors on the local scene will be exposed to bracket racing. If we want more NHRA Sportsmen racers we need the Juniors in our arena looking up to Sportsmen racing instead of bracket racing.
Merry Christmas,
Ray
Liked
Old 11-27-2023, 05:01 PM   #16
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Gump
While it would be nice for the kids to run Jr dragsters at div events, most divisional races already have 10 lbs of ***** crammed in a 5 lbs sack. Heck I quit running most D3 events or leave early because we struggle to finish races before Monday. Now in D2,D5 and D6 you could get away with it because of the lack of total car count at almost all those Divisional events. Its a lack of time issue more then anything else.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 11-27-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:30 AM   #17
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,875 Times in 642 Posts

I can't say I'm surprised by some of the responses and some of them I get. We spend a tremendous amount of time sitting around at divisional races as it is but with that said are we more concerned with a little bit of extra time or the longevity of our sport? Time wise I don't see where it takes any longer for Jr's as say Super Comp or TD, by the time these guys do their burnout, backup, play with their box or whatever some do and decide to stage it can seem like an eternity, same goes for some other people in other classes as well. As I see it it keeps these kids involved in racing and doing something with their family and keeps them from doing God knows what these days. Some people complaining about how long it takes to run them and they just want to get the race finished so they can get home but they will line up on a Tuesday and sit in a field for 3 days before a national event doesn't make much sense to me.....
Old 11-28-2023, 01:48 AM   #18
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

it's not the time at all unless the scheduled is being shortened due to weather or other factors. It's the fact that most racers don't want them there because they believe these events are big boy races and not for kids and remember, they only somewhat recently started competing at these events. Juniors have their own Divisional or bracket finals and they have their own National event(s) two.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #19
Lenny5160_v2

Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts

I can see both sides of this. When my kids were racing juniors, I had to go racing a bunch more weekends at local events if I wanted my kids to get track time. Juniors at divisional events would mean we all race together and could spend a few more weekends at home.

However, we were able to all run at our local D5 event a couple times, and with my two cars and the two juniors, with how the run order fell, was a complete clown show. I like the divisional events to be 'me time' where I can focus on my program and maybe even relax a little bit.
Liked
Old 11-28-2023, 10:47 AM   #20
dragracerray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Juniors have their own Divisional or bracket finals and they have their own National event(s) two.
So 1320 if I am consistent with your logic Sportsmen competitors should not be allowed into National events. Are you ok with that?

Juniors not allowed at Divisional
Sportsman not allowed at Nationals

I have never been to a National event as a Sportsmen racer but I hope to soon.
Merry Christmas, Ray