HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Mike W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default best battery charger ?

I wanted to get some feed back on whats the battery charger everyone is using? Im charging a bracket car with 2 batteries. Thanks Mike
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: best battery charger ?

I have a Craftsman (stand up on wheels) that I use it has a 40 amp setting & also a 200amp jump start if your in a pinch.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Richard Grant

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Use a digital Craftsman if you can afford it. One of the best purchases I ever made. It will tell you exactly how much you have charged your batteries. Charge to the max volts if you have time. Make sure that you can reach the same voltage everytime. It will make your car more consistent. Without a digital guage you don't know if you are reaching the correct voltage or not.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Mike W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richard i looked on Sears website , are you referring to the battery charger thats called the microprocessor ?
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Richard Grant

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

That's the one. Expensive isn't it? It's worth it though. I have had mine about 10 years. I've used mine to charge the boat battery, the scooter battery, the golf cart batteries, the trailer batteries, etc. It will sometimes shock a old battery back into service by placing it on high until it takes a charge.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
ron mattson

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

I use a Schumacher speed charger, they are well built and show state of charge %
and charging volts plus have a setting for gel cell and agm batteries as well as conventional
types. Approx 100.00 here
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mattson View Post
I use a Schumacher speed charger, they are well built and show state of charge %
and charging volts plus have a setting for gel cell and agm batteries as well as conventional
types. Approx 100.00 here
Ron, my Schumacher charger has died after less than 1 year of service. The terminal clip ends broke the wiring and it quit charging correctly. When we were at Belle Rose this year, in the CIC, it broke off while trying to hurry for the next round. I wasnt happy. Repaired it there, then the other one broke at home, was even less happy. Got to Indy D3, it wouldnt charge the battery fully. Thank god for Marty Buth and his Black and Decker charger (very nice). Got home, took mine back apart, rewired it with larger 12/2 wire and attached the clips with some heat shrink to support it better. Damn pos still wont charge the battery up. So, I'm back to the old upright. Look very closely at how those clips are attached and how small and flexible the wiring is.

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Hudlow66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't know if it's the best, but we're using an XS Power "Intelli-charger". Charges both 12V and 16V AGM IntelliCharger compatible with 5A, 15A, and 25A(25A max) output. Three charging modes and LED indicators with ammeter to monitor status (grabbed that off of their site). It's part number 1005 if you want to look into it yourself.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have a Black & Decker 25A-10A-2A Smart Charger. Have had zero problems with it. Also keep a 0.75A maintainer on it during the week.

Also, the Black & Decker unit will pop up error codes if there is a short in the battery or there are other problems. Another thing I really like about it is that if you hook it up backwards it will not charge and the lead is not hot until it knows it is hooked to a battery correctly and you set the charger.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
k.pascoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By far it has to be my old Snap-On charger. I'm at work so I don't have the model number. It's been ran over twice by a 4000lbs super stock car. And smashed another time by a 6800lbs Ford F350 dually. My god is it ugly, but yes it still works!!!
k.pascoe is offline   Reply With Quote