HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,046 Times in 276 Posts
Default Re: Stock class transmission case breakage

We were not looking to solve a breakage issue. Rather, we were looking at improving a safety problem. If you've ever tried to get a transmission shield on a 3 speed in one of the upper class cars, as well as a flexplate shield, you'll know what I mean. They require us to use such equipment (I'm not opposed to safety at all) but then they force us to try to cram it into a stock transmission tunnel. Actually, solving any breakage issues was a side benefit.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
We were not looking to solve a breakage issue. Rather, we were looking at improving a safety problem. If you've ever tried to get a transmission shield on a 3 speed in one of the upper class cars, as well as a flexplate shield, you'll know what I mean. They require us to use such equipment (I'm not opposed to safety at all) but then they force us to try to cram it into a stock transmission tunnel. Actually, solving any breakage issues was a side benefit.
This. It would be much easier to have a certified case
Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
tracyjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Not a problem for us. However, we already approached NHRA, they are unwilling to accept aftermarket cases in Stock Eliminator. Well, at least for the automatic transmission cars.
The racers that I have spoken to are interested in using the "Ultra-Bell" that bolts to the stock transmission case to help eliminate breakage and for safety concerns. The transmission case is not a concern at this time. My purpose of participating in the forum is determine if there is a problem with case breakage or a concern for safety. Thank you for input.
tracyjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,046 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyjw View Post
The racers that I have spoken to are interested in using the "Ultra-Bell" that bolts to the stock transmission case to help eliminate breakage and for safety concerns. The transmission case is not a concern at this time. My purpose of participating in the forum is determine if there is a problem with case breakage or a concern for safety. Thank you for input.

Our only breakage issue was a TH350, and I'm sure that was a driveshaft problem. Had we had a bolt on bellhousing, I'm sure the case would have broken at the next weak point, behind the pump. That would have put fluid on the track.

The safety issue is a good one to pursue, however, if you need a flexplate shield, you also need a transmission shield.

Your Ultra-Bell helps with the flex plate shield, and that's great, but that leaves the racer with a blanket as the only option for the rest of the transmission, since you cannot cut or modify the form fitting carbon fiber style shield, which, for many of us, is the only thing besides a blanket that fits in the tunnel.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
tracyjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Our only breakage issue was a TH350, and I'm sure that was a driveshaft problem. Had we had a bolt on bellhousing, I'm sure the case would have broken at the next weak point, behind the pump. That would have put fluid on the track.

The safety issue is a good one to pursue, however, if you need a flexplate shield, you also need a transmission shield.

Your Ultra-Bell helps with the flex plate shield, and that's great, but that leaves the racer with a blanket as the only option for the rest of the transmission, since you cannot cut or modify the form fitting carbon fiber style shield, which, for many of us, is the only thing besides a blanket that fits in the tunnel.
I understand your position and thanks for all your input.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have seen several th200 break the cases, somebody even sells a girdle to prevent it.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
Grant Eldridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have broken several TH200 cases. In my situation, I fabricated a brace along the passenger side of the case connecting the two factory "ears" made of 1/2" thick aluminum about 1" to 1 1/2" wide. In addition, I bought a Turbo Action cast aluminum deep pan to help stiffen the case. The third item was to install a torque strap on the front left cylinder head to the frame. After those changes, there has been no further breakage. If you do these changes, be prepared to notch the crossmember to clear the pan on a Camaro or Nova. Also, the transmission cooling lines need to be figured out before installation of the transmission because the brace (at least the one I made) makes it almost impossible to install the upper line afterwards in the car. We used a 45 degree angled top end on a hydraulic hose to solve this problem for our cooler lines. Hope this helps.......

Grant Eldridge
E/SA 6650
Grant Eldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #18
tracyjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post
I have seen several th200 break the cases, somebody even sells a girdle to prevent it.

If the girdle works than that is great. We do have a 200 metric bellhousing to a GM engine that is available. It is available through a distributor who paid the tooling and etc... to make the product for their specific market. It may be of interest to those racers with a 200 metric transmission. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
tracyjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in Norwalk this past weekend at the NHRA event. For those racers who are interested interested in safety and have case breakage issues I suggest that you voice your opinion to Bruce Bachedlder of NHRA. They are willing to listen and look into the matter further. Your safety is important to the manufacturers and the sanctioning bodies. If you need contact information please e-mail me at tracyw@racewithjw.com.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

What case is used on the Cobra Jets and Challenger 2-speeds?
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote