HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #191
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,670 Times in 1,298 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

I must be missing the boat but I thought everyone runs a distributor with an adjustable collar ??
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #192
Th6467

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really enjoying this build! Thank you for doing such a fine job of detailing everything. I also have a 66 and your build is making me consider going a different direction with it. Thank you again and keep up the good work!
Th6467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #193
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The nylon shims work fine. I had to raise my distributor up some after cutting the heads and intake and I think that I purchased a Mr.Gasket set.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #194
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

Along with my broken foot I seem to have gotten the flu--just as I had holiday and vacation time coming up! Fortunately I was able to have the vacation time converted to sick time, so I can get some work done on the car during a week in February.

But now I'm reasonably healthy and back out in the garage. Next thing up was an exhaust system so that I can start the engines at home without terrifying the neighbors. Here's what I came up with:

It exits just in front of the slicks, and can double as street exhaust if I ever return the car to street duty:

Next up is the driveshaft loop. Naturally if I locate the top of the loop in the spot that yields the most driveshaft clearance, it hits the under-floor cross member. So I reworked it to angle out and follow the edge of the cross member.

It fits in pretty nicely now. And it sure was nice to weld some thicker metal for once!

And finally I put the driveshaft in, and yes! We have clearance!

Next weekend I only get one day in the garage, as Saturday is race #1 of the Summit series at Wild Horse, but Sunday I plan to start building the seat mounts.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #195
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Nice work! I need to fabricate a loop myself...thinking of welding something to the crossmember to keep from drilling any more holes.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #196
Dave Muller

Too much going on this weekend to spend more than a morning out in the garage, but I got a start on building the seat mounts. I'm starting with the right side so any mistakes won't matter as much. It's slow going in part because I'm making this up as I go along.

I'm starting out by getting myself a reasonably flat, level surface to work with

From here I'm thinking of using 2" channel to go from the base I just made to the bottom of the seat. That'll have the bottom of the seat about 3" off the floor. From sitting there on about 3" of lumber with my helmet on, it seems like a reasonable height.

Next weekend I can work both days, and I hope to complete both mounts.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #197
Dave Muller

I got most of the seat installation done this weekend, but not quite all. I wound up reworking the right-side brackets to stiffen them up. I shortened the one and added a vertical piece to each for strength.

Here is the right side mocked up. I wound up moving it to the rear before finalizing it. That side is done once the paint dries on the brackets; that didn't quite happen in time to finish the install today.

The left side is mostly set up now, though the inside bracket still needs to be strengthened a bit more. Once I get that done I'll be ready to sit in it to determine if I have the location correct. I will also add additional bracing to the front of the seat down to the bracket so it'll be much more rigid than it is here.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-09-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 AM   #198
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

If you don't put a brace from the seat back to the floor you will be on you back staring at the headliner the first time it hooks and leaves....Usually the seat back is connected to the roll bar cross bar behind the seat....

Just sayin'
Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #199
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts

I have those seats in my 68 Mustang Coupe which has a really difficult floor to fit too.

You do need to add more bracing to that, you don't really have much contact area. The brackets Kirkey and others make for this seat bolt to the side of it and run from front to back about 12 inches. I would at least weld cross pieces to your brackets front and back to join them into a single unit.

You will need a back brace connected to a cross member of the roll bar behind the seat.

My seat mount is constructed from 2X3 aluminum channel and a sheet of 3/16 T6 aluminum to form an elevated platform bolted to the floor in 6 places. The seat is on Kirkey brackets bolted to this platform. I can't weld aluminum but with lock washers is seems very solid. The back brace is the one Kirkey makes. It bolts to clamps around the cross member of the cage. It's out of the car now so I can't post a pic.

Not to run on, but it's a safety thing.

EDIT: I reread your captions and edited this post. You recognize the need to strengthen the brackets.

Last edited by FireSale; 01-30-2017 at 03:03 AM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:59 AM   #200
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
If you don't put a brace from the seat back to the floor you will be on you back staring at the headliner the first time it hooks and leaves....Usually the seat back is connected to the roll bar cross bar behind the seat....

Just sayin'
I'll second that...I would want some type of brace on that aluminum seat back. With a suitable brace bolted in place that would give a place to mount a good over the shoulder belt restraint system. Another perk is you are exempt from the current 2-year re-certification rule for belts. Heck, I'll send you a expired set of ours for the price of shipping. I would not install a roll bar if I had plans to return it to the street someday.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 01-30-2017 at 03:16 AM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote