HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
66chevron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Variation on Stop

Our car is experiencing significant variation in the early part of the track while on the stop. Off the stop performance is fine and repeatable. 3000#, 468 BBC, 1.76 glide, 5400 spragless converter, inline stop one way only air, hard linkage, 9.40's wide open. Not shifting on the stop as the car weight/HP didn't like that. Have varied on/off times, shocks, tire pressure, RPM, rebuilt the entire throttle linkage. Also ran a converter with a sprag earlier in the season, similar variation. Left yesterday at 4000, on at .001, off at 3.00. 60' times were 1.77 and 1.82. Similar results leaving at 4800 and on at 0.15 (to flash the converter), .02-.05 60' variation. This is not a new combination or new car, been stop racing for most of the last dozen years. Almost like the car will not coast the same twice in a row.

I have purposely not mentioned any manufacturers as everyone I have talked to has been helpful and I will not indict any of their equipment.

Appreciate any advice cuz we are stumped.
66chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Don Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Variation on Stop

Can you borrow someone else's carb to test? I keep one in the trailer as a backup and let people borrow it if they have similar problems.

Only have a few choices. Carb, converter, suspension are most common problem when you go through this issue.
Don Higgins - Super Comp #360H
Don Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

One thing often overlooked when a car is inconsistent on the stop is front end toe and rear axle being square in the chassis.
If toe is excessive or the rear axle is even slightly crooked, the car will roll differently as the track conditions change during the day, i.e. , slower 60' after the track has been sprayed or dragged and faster 60's when the track has been run in.
Does your car have motor plates or stock mounts ? either way don't overlook chassis flex or engine limiter problems.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

When is the last time you cleaned your air bleeds in the carb? I make a habit of cleaning them every race because of chasing a simular problem
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
66chevron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Checked front end alignment and chassis squareness last night, have some work to do there. Will also go through the carburetor as I do not have a spare to use, and pay special attention to the air bleeds. Also have a spare torque converter and an under the carb stop to try in case those things do not work.

Our next outing will be the US131 divisional, will let you know what happens.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
66chevron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Raced the US131 divisional, by chance pitted next to Don Higgins so I got the benefit of some live advice. Somewhere between a front end alignment, squaring the chassis, going through the carburetor and installing an under the carb stop the car was much better. 60' times repeated and with a little tuning on the shiftpoint the car was competitive. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dominator or 4150? Stock Holley, Quick Fuel, or a built carb? An inline will be sensitive to too much fuel at part throttle, where an under carb stop can be sensitive to not enough fuel and depending on the type some more than others.
jmarkaudio is offline   Reply With Quote