HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
JWhis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Intro/Couple Questions

Hello all, I've been browsing for a while and i thought I'd finally make a post and ask some questions I have been wondering about. I've been around drag racing all my life being i grew up with my dad doing it all these years. He is a bracket racer but every year it's like a tradition that we go to the U.S. Nationals here in Indy. I do have a car my Dad and I restored a 73 #'s matching 340 Challenger that i have been bracket racing with. I've been wanting to at least try Stock but just don't have the money for it right now. Also leads me to my first question, why is it that i never see many 73 challengers being made into stockers? Is it because of the poor choice of combos(318/340)?

Another question but different subject is, I loved seeing the 70 Hemi Cuda's/Challenger's out there on the track. Where did they all go or am i just not looking in the right places?

My Car Below

Last edited by JWhis; 03-17-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: addition
JWhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Intro/Couple Questions

E-bodies are usually worth more restored than as race cars that are beat on. Some engine combos, like the Hemi, are also very expensive to build and horsepower factors have made them less competitive. The new factory cars are in the same classes and can normally outrun them.

I believe Buckner family out of Diviswion 4 run a Stock Challenger and the Ross family out of Ohio have a Cuda in Pure Stock and Challenger in SS.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Jim Wahl
Banned

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: Intro/Couple Questions

I think the reason you don't see many '73, '74 340 Challengers is the HP rating. The '73 is NHRA rated at 293 and the '74 is at 305. The later F body cars are rated a little less (289) and have 20 more cubic inches with the same cam, heads and compression ratio. No brainer in my opinion. Jim

BTW Very nice looking Challenger Jason!

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 03-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,713 Times in 854 Posts
Default Re: Intro/Couple Questions

Regarding the hemi E-body Henson had his out recently and Chris Howes ran .90+ under at the Gators....I should know, went red against him first round. Haven't heard what Jerry Newsome's family plans to do with his old car, that's a very nice car but as already said nicely restored E-bodies, especially original hemi cars, go for mint$$$.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote