HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Small Block Chevy for S/G

I want to go to a SBC for my S/G car. It Currently weighs 2800 with a 468 and me. I guess you could say 2 Big Blocks LOL.
Don't want to break the bank with some weirdo combo.

Any suggestions such as Cubic Inches, Heads, Intake, Rotating assembly???????????????????

THanks
Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
diceman1530

Default Re: Small Block Chevy for S/G

why in the world would you want to do that? they cost just as much,you have to run them harder,more maintance.just my 2 cents
there is no subtitute for cubic inch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray Fordyce jr
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ray,
I have a plan.LOL
Seriously I want to keep both cars the same. It's just something I'm thinking about doing. I like small blocks and this new car is my first big block. It seems to be a decent combo. I just want both the same.
Chip
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
SUPER STREET ROB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Small Block Chevy for S/G

chip my 434 small block is for sale that is in my car look on racing junk ad#1359394 let me know what u think!!!...............................Rob Derr
SUPER STREET ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Rob,
Are you interested in doing some trading?
Send me your #
Chip
Old 11-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Well, it sounds like the 2 of you should talk. One wants to go to a small block, the other a big block...

That said, I've always liked my 383 cid Chevys. Stock 4-bolt cast-iron .030 over 350 blocks, nothing special in the heads department with all 23° valvetrain, run of the mill Edelbrock cast aluminum manifold, and an out of the box Race Demon carb. Run it at 14:1 compression with some good internal pieces and a 4-7 swap cam, and it makes 600 hp all day and runs forever with very little maintenence. It doesn't get much cheaper to build or easier to maintain.

Whatever you do, I would steer you away from 377 cid combos with stock 400 blocks, as the cylinder walls are too thin, and unless you fill them with concrete (not exactly good for weight savings or cooling system capacity) you'll crack the blocks one after the other.

I can't say much about the bigger small blocks of today. The 406s and 434s seem to be pretty popular, so I would have to assume they're pretty reliable, though to build them you need an aftermarket block. I know a few experimented with 454 and 472 cid small blocks, but its pretty rare to see those these days, so I'm assuming that may have pushed the stock SBC design past its limits.

All that said, if you can work some type of trade with Rob, I don't think you could beat that. He had 1 or 2 wins this year with that combo...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Hypertoys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chip ,I am going with the 421 SBC for next year .I am using the Dart little M block ,Scat crank and rods,custom Bullet cam. They say the bottom end will be good for 1000+ HP and I am shooting for 600,so I hope to have a dependable bottom end with low maintenance .I still need some help on picking a head ,I am looking at the 227 AFR or the Brodix Track 1. Let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by Hypertoys; 11-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Hypertoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what kind of SBC aluminum heads would you guys recommend if building a new 400+? 18 or 23 if starting new?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
So what kind of SBC aluminum heads would you guys recommend if building a new 400+? 18 or 23 if starting new?

If I had it to do over my 421 would be an 18 deg motor but that's just my .02 I think there's more to it than just changing heads. I think ya need the pistons also...........
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
sst3447

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 18 degree 436 small block 14 to 1 compression flat top motor with Dart block, Eagle crank and rods ,je pistons with brodix 18c heads with titanium valves , comp cams 704 lift cam and t&d shaft rockers . It made 757 hp at 7000 rpm on the dyno and runs 10.90 @140 on the stop. it been reliable with no problems at all
sst3447 is offline   Reply With Quote