HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #21
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts
Default Re: Bypass fuel pressure regulator systems

or maybe they just want the naive and ill informed to part with their $.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #22
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Before you criticize the intelligence and level of awareness of other racers, remember that you have the kit on your own car. Racing is about innovation, and innovation is about trying things that don't always work. Every car is different and each responds (or doesn't respond) to attempts to make it quicker. Where you car didn't see anything, mine may pick-up or slow down as a result of installing the kit. If you're like most drag racers, you have lots of "silver bullet" parts hanging on a nail on the shop wall. If the kit does nothing, I'll be naïve and ill-informed; if the car picks up a tenth, I'll be a genius.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #23
1320racer
VIP Member

Mike, it's apparent you didn't want advice, all you wanted is confirmation of what you already decided to do.

Oh and FYI, I didn't pay for the bypass, John gave it to me years ago.

You'll gain nothing but a lighter wallet!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #24
nhramnl

You may be entirely correct, but there's only one way to find out. I will be man enough to post here again if the kit does nothing for the performance of the car. I genuinely appreciate the advice, based on your own experience, but I have received a couple of PMs that say the kit did make a difference.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #25
1320racer
VIP Member

Mike, think about it, how much additional HP would be required for your car to run just a tenth quicker? I'll tell you with my Super Stock car, that has all the stock/super stock "tricks" for less rolling resistance, it's close to 30HP and my engine makes over 900HP.

Now do you really think that just plumbing a bypass into your regulator is going to magically have your engine making this additional horsepower? Where is this HP going to come from, theorectically more stable fuel pressure? Even though, the volume remains the same? Your engine can only use X amount of fuel as it is without wholesale changes to the combination and the fuel is still being regulated by the same needle and seat based on the demand/need for fuel at RPM.

Last edited by 1320racer; 11-29-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #26
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Well, Ed, I see that you are busy making new friends once again.....

How about this. I'm bored, so I'll write a response that you could have written all by yourself.

"Mike, I have that system in my car. When I installed it I didn't see any difference in either ET or consistency. It may not be a bad thing to add, but you may see more benefit from spending your money on a camshaft program. I have changed cams and picked up a lot. I've also changed cams that didn't pick up the car at all. Some have even hurt performance.

"It's kind of like the lightweight axles, spool and wheels craze. They are good in some cases and you may see some benefit, but most of the time you don't see any real gains from making the changes. It can't hurt to have stronger axles and truer wheels, but for the price you may want to spend your money on the engine or a converter/gear program that will bring you something better in the end.

"Good luck,

"Ed"

See, Ed, that wasn't so bad, and you wouldn't have insulted anyone.......
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #27
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

Fuel systems are basic and simple Fluid Dynamics.
Irregardless of WHAT or WHO'S system is used to get fuel from the tank to the carb the goal is to use or put together a system that: Gets the fuel there,
1. at the correct pressure
2. at an adequate volume (different power levels require different Volume's)
3. without air bubbles/aeration (Carbs need a solid slug of fuel)
4 Without raising the temperature of the fuel
5 That is not effected by G Forces of acceleration
If you have a system that does all of the above you may not see a gain by making changes.
If you have a system that is 2 out of 5 chances are you might see some change
Bolting on parts without a basic understanding of the Fluid Dynamics and what the carb/engine combination needs is just a cut and try method and usually just confuses things.
It helps to know what HP & the BSFC of your engine combination and calculate how much fuel system you need. Most N/A engine BSFC's run between .40 to .55 depending on the "State of Tune". Fuel delivery is extremely critical in selecting injector sizes. Blown engines operate at different BSFC than N/A engines. There are several on line calculators you can use to size you fuel requirements. This Tech page is just one and it touches on a few basics. http://www.sdsefi.com/techform.htm
nhramnl Do a little research and figure out what you need then get it on your car or work with someone that understands the in's and outs of fuel supply.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-29-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #28
1320racer
VIP Member

Steve, I reply to threads that I have first hand experience that may help the OP. I don't reply with the hope to make a new friend by being politically correct. I like my replies better than yours and my previous comments stand.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #29
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Ed, I think most recognize that you have a great deal of experience in drag racing, and that that experience can be very helpful to others who don't have it and are trying to learn.

I'm nobody's idea of the PC type, and I do appreciate frankness. But, from what I can tell, oftentimes your experience gets overlooked by the messaging, which is a shame.

By the way: How much does that weight box weigh? Nice piece. Mike does build very nice cars.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #30
nhramnl

This is why I seldom post anything on boards. The original question was simple; "Has anyone converted to a bypass system and did it produce any gains?". The initial responders simply answer the question, but soon after, the "experts" show up, to criticize and belittle the questioner. I should be working on finding the right camshaft? Gulius picked the cam when he built the engine. I should understand what a fuel system really needs to work properly. I do. I've been racing for 35 years, and this whole thing started when I noticed the pump was delivering "beer foam" to the carburetor. Believe it or not, there was no perceivable performance deficiency. Investigated, learned that the pump had never been rebuilt and called John to discuss having it inspected and re-sealed. John asked if I had ever considered a bypass system (because the car uses a Q-jet), and went on to tell me how it had helped people like my friend Jason Line, with his Buick stocker. So, one more time; the question was "Has anyone converted to a bypass system and did it produce any gains?" Don't help; just answer the question.