HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: tranny cooler

"be prepared if you have to make multiple passes which will produce enough heat to hurt the trans"

that is my thinking and I always plan to be in the late rounds
Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
GregP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently I talked with they guys at Turbo Action and Scott Mclay in regards to this. they both told me it wasn't needed. but if you plan on making back to back passes etc then it would be a good idea.
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
If you have an in-tank transmission oil cooler (TOC) in your radiator, I would use it because it will help put heat into the transmission faster than without one.

As far as needing a TOC Auxiliary Cooler, I personally think one isn't needed because the transmission will not make enough heat in one pass to require a cooler. But, you also want to be prepared if you have to make multiple passes which will produce enough heat to hurt the trans.
We have used our in-tank radiator TOC for years with no problem.
I've been wondering for a while if the car might ET more consistently with the stock-type in-tank cooler. Seems like the trans fluid temp would be more consistent, though maybe higher than with an auxiliary cooler.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: tranny cooler

Ever since I first started learning about cars, I heard that heat was the main cause of automatic transmission failures, usually due to fluid breakdown (at least on the street). With that in mind, I always ran a cooler and now Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid. Granted that modern technology has deveoped more durable parts & fluids and the firm shifts from race valve bodies reduce slippage and heat. But you'll still get a build-up when they start "hot-lapping" and especially with trans-brake equipped cars. So I figure it's good insurance and worth the little extra weight and time needed to disconnect hoses for R&R.

So Mike Pearson knows more people with coolers than he thought!
Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It isn't the heat that is the enemy of your transmission, it is excessive heat that destroys the internals of a transmission. I have always liked the radiator in-tank (water to oil) coolers, because of the fact the transmission will get up to operating temperature quicker, and in turn lubricate the internal components better and faster. Also, an in-tank cooler (water to oil) cooler is more efficient than an Auxilary (air to oil) cooler.

Last edited by njk53; 11-10-2015 at 02:56 PM.
njk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

I just removed my cooler and fan, and put a dual Moroso heat sink in place of them. You can mount it on the frame rail to get a little weight off the front, and it's supposed to cool pretty well.

We'll see.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #17
John Dinkel

Liked 233 Times in 62 Posts
Thumbs up Re: tranny cooler

I run a trans cooler just to be safe. The cooler lines and cooler can't possibly slow you down they only weigh a couple of pounds.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
Dan Timberlake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd be inclined to plumb a trans temp gage into an external bypass line to see whether I needed a cooler, or not, without sacrificing a transmission un-necessarily to find out.

External coolers in the radiator started as a Heavy Duty option on some cars of the 50s/60s. Standard was air cooled via holey Bell housings and finny torque converters.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...389a122d8a.jpg

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/month...3142564952.jpg
Dan Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
MontyF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Monitor your tranny heat. Late rounds my glide only runs little over 180 degrees with no cooler. It's a ten second car and I don't stall it out on the two step.

There is nothing wrong with running a cooler but not needed if heat isn't a problem.
MontyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

I want to thank everybody for your input. I am happy I am to the point where I need to start making some "real" race part decisions for the build. Want to have tranny ready in car when i drop motor in. It's been a long haul (2 plus years) but a painted done roller now.

Will Lamprecht Div 1 I/SA 65 Impala progressing !
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote