Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: ATTN Sportsman Council Members and Racers

Quote:
Great start with lowering the indexes, most racers are holding 1-3 tenths, this is suppose to be a performance class.
If you lower all the indexes by one full second, the qualifying order doesn't change. It's all relative.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,581 Times in 323 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: ATTN Sportsman Council Members and Racers

Michael -Very good point, however if the indexes were lowered a few tenths we could go back to flat out class racing and stop sandbagging .............
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,652 Times in 505 Posts

I dont know about the rest of you But my combo has taken 2 HP hits in the last two seasons. It is not one of the obscure under factored combos like Bob Dennis runs. It is a 350 295/318 motor. now you want to shove another 2 tenths on us. That is the dumbist thing I have heard in a while. First of all that will not do anything for sand bagging. That has always been going on. If the sand baggers would just run their cars to there potential then the AFHS would work in its present state. The problem is not with the AFHS. its with the drivers that try to manipulate it by brake light racing. If you like hitting your brakes go circle track racing. The only thing lowering the indexes will accomplish is to keep new racers from building cars and starting to race S/SS. I know when I started running super stock it took quite a few years to make my car run consistently under the index. I guess all the old timers forget what it was like when yhey started out. Right now the car counts are way down. we need some real enhancements instead of something that will hurt our type of racing
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: ATTN Sportsman Council Members and Racers

It looks like some of you are looking at this the wrong way. Back when stock began you could build a competitive car for $5000. Then NHRA enhanced our butts with all this aftermarket stuff so the manufacturerers could make money from us. Now a competitive stocker cost over $20,000 to build (yeah I know, a higher class car is well over $50,000). And it's not even a stocker anymore. They're more like modified production used to be. The best part is that the payouts are very close to what we got back when. Everyone comes on here and pisses and moans about the NHRA enhancments. Well, this is the same thing, only this time we're getting it from our own people. These 2 rules in particular may have a lot of support. But you may not like the next round of enhancements, and then we'll see the crap hit the fan, right? If we have to go to committee members with our conserns, then the only thing being discussed is what all the whinners and sqeeky wheels want discussed. The committee's responsibility is to all racers, and they must present issues to everyone or this whole thing isn't going to work correctly.
NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION..................Yeah, I'm ready for the revolution!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Revolution? Ha! nhra loves revolutions! They'll swat you like a lonely fly. Great guys - I'm sure!

Taking .20 off the indexes does nothing to the racers who are not as fast as others. We are runnning in 80 to 90 car fields at nationals; with the exception of Indy.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They only cost that much if you sit in front of the TV and write checks. How about going out to the shop and opening the tool box and firing up the welder? Cost really goes down and it has to be more fun. Sounds like the council is doing what it was designed to do, bring some racing back to stock.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Thumbs up Re: ATTN Sportsman Council Members and Racers

Alan, Well said.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
5919 SSKA

Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

Would you still need to run -.500 under to win Class?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts
Exclamation Re: ATTN Sportsman Council Members and Racers

first of all... i cannot find fredjohnston on a current qualifying sheet ???

second - i (for one) asked & agree with the index reduction... unless you are under 25, or ignorant to the history of the class you race you KNOW nhra last RAISED the indexes (1980something) and since then have been doling out FREE ET with enhancements like the government spends money... if you cant run the index you probably cant change you own oil... besides we all thought it was a done deal last season we even ran off new indexes at ohio valley doorslammers last october but it wasnt an across the board reduction which i think it should be.

third - as far as RULE (not index) changes my hopes were that a sportsman council would squash all the internet whiners and intelligent heads would prevail and STOP changing a rule every week... im tired of everyone who thinks because they want a rule changed (or better yet they already are breaking one and want us to wrap our arms around it) it is thier RIGHT to have the rules fit thier agenda.

last - we have a pretty good group here...it cant be any worse than glendora's bull****.

jack mccarthy
Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
hadtobethere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: ATTN Sportsman Council Members and Racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy View Post
first of all... i cannot find fredjohnston on a current qualifying sheet ???

second - i (for one) asked & agree with the index reduction... unless you are under 25, or ignorant to the history of the class you race you KNOW nhra last RAISED the indexes (1980something) and since then have been doling out FREE ET with enhancements like the government spends money... if you cant run the index you probably cant change you own oil... besides we all thought it was a done deal last season we even ran off new indexes at ohio valley doorslammers last october but it wasnt an across the board reduction which i think it should be.

third - as far as RULE (not index) changes my hopes were that a sportsman council would squash all the internet whiners and intelligent heads would prevail and STOP changing a rule every week... im tired of everyone who thinks because they want a rule changed (or better yet they already are breaking one and want us to wrap our arms around it) it is thier RIGHT to have the rules fit thier agenda.

last - we have a pretty good group here...it cant be any worse than glendora's bull****.

jack mccarthy
Well said...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hadtobethere is offline   Reply With Quote