HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Angry Is IHRA Going Under?

In the last couple of months I have been trying to get answers to some rumors I have heard and I recently I got them. They were not he answers I wanted to hear. Anybody who has tried to contact anyone in the IHRA knows how increasingly difficult it is to find anyone on the other end of the phone or the email you send. It was confirmed to me that there only but three people in the entire IHRA office now. Most have either been relieved or "retired" and are moving on. When asked if there was even going to be an IHRA next year the answer was....... well, lets just say it was NOT "Oh sure, we are doing fine!". I was also told that while the IHRA may be in business "technically" next year, it was doubtful the Sportsman racers would have any venue or be any part of the IHRA!
It seems that Mike Dunn has cut the heart out of the IHRA and that he believes they should be a Traveling Nitro Show complete with side show acts and clowns to draw spectators. Screw the racers who pay the bills (where have we heard this before?).

My initial question was to inquire about what had happened to the Drag Review Magazine. I was shocked to be honestly and directly told that there was no magazine anymore either in print or online and there was no plan to continue it ever again! When I asked if there was going to be a rebate for the cost that members had paid for the inclusion of the Drag Review in the membership fees I was told I would have to take that up with Scooter Peaco, the V.P. of the Association.

I hate to be the bearer of such terrible news but the facts are the facts and I felt that all the Sportsman racers who have supported the IHRA for all these years should know. I couldn't even be told that there would be a World Finals this year. I'm not sure I would go now even if they say there will be. I feel we have been lied to ever since Mike Dunn became President!

I would suggest that if you are concerned over this at all you call the only number that seems to get anyone who is alive at the IHRA office and let them know what you think of all this. I was told that all calls were being recorded so keep it civil, the people you talk to there are being "retired" very soon and are feeling the same betrayal that you as racers should be! Call now and call often! (419) 660-4215. Jim

I am disgusted!

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Is IHRA Going Under?

As I said before even rats know when to abandon a sinking ship I did it a few years back So sad I did enjoy my years with IHRA. I just hope somewhere in the future they can get it all back together get some sponsors in and turn that whole thing around It will be even worse with Nhra as the only game in town
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
jwsamuel

Liked 216 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
It seems that Mike Dunn has cut the heart out of the IHRA and that he believes they should be a Traveling Nitro Show complete with side show acts and clowns to draw spectators. Screw the racers who pay the bills (where have we heard this before?).
Didn't they try that a couple of years ago?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Exclamation Re: Is IHRA Going Under?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Didn't they try that a couple of years ago?
Yes and they called them "National Events" or "Nitro Jams" but they had a Sportsman program along with it.This year as far as I know there were no Sportsman classes at the Nitro Jams. The Divisionals (Pro Am) are the only Sportsman races. Nitro Jams are booked in shows with Nitro Funny Cars, Nitro Harley's and Pro Mods. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
SSSSA Forum Moderator

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 07-18-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Yes and they called them "National Events" or "Nitro Jams" but they had a Sportsman program along with it.This year as far as I know there were no Sportsman classes at the Nitro Jams. The Divisionals (Pro Am) are the only Sportsman races. Nitro Jams are booked in shows with Nitro Funny Cars, Nitro Harley's and Pro Mods. Jim

They had the national w/ sportsman at MDIR aka MIR aka buds creek
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

The pro-am races were not well supported by the sportsman racers. Car counts were low at most races. Division 2 has been growing and had the best car counts at the Pro Am races here this year. Other divisions had minimal support. The track owners did little to get any spectators in the seats. The payout and contingency were still pretty low. I hope we have an IHRA next year as that is about all that we have here in Florida. Interest in Stock and Super Stock is at an all time low in all of the sanctioning bodies. Even our Southern Stock Super Stock Assn is having a hard time this year with participation. I am not sure where all of this will end up but it does not look good. NHRA is steadily cutting out the sportsman racers at the national event level with the stingy quotas. Pretty soon it will be just a few of the traveling pro sportsman at the nationals. Looks like the end is not too far out for the little guys.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
They had the national w/ sportsman at MDIR aka MIR aka buds creek
You are right. They were at a couple of selected Nitro Jams this year. None at Orlando and Philly I know. Jim

SSSSA Forum Moderator
Old 07-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
MadMax404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know about the rest of what has been said but Ihra announced no DRM in January.

http://www.ihra.com/ihra-tracks/trac...ne-going-green

The Mike Dunn announcement was early February. I sure hope the world finals is still on this year I've ran 6/8 races in D4 in super rod and still have a shot at making it. Would suck to spend all that time and money this season.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
Shabs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know exactly where it's gonna end up. Where neither sanctioning bodies exist right now... Big $ Bracket Racing. With the if the stock and super stock guys raced bottom bulb races purses would probably have a nice little bump up. And you can enter a $10k for like $150. And if ya lose on Saturday you can race on Sunday. Just a prediction
Shabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I actually renewed my IHRA membership this year and was planning to go to some of the D2 races but then I found out it was 1\8 mile at SGMP and Orlando, just couldn't see towing 9 and 10 hours for that.
Planned to go to Piedmont, they cancelled on a Wednesday could have ran it in my opinion. Then I thought I would go to Darlington, forecast looked horrible so I didn't go, they couldn't finish it.
Wanted to go to Budds Creek but was having RV trouble.
When I look at the way they've made decisions and handled things over the last few years I'm not surprised, I'm disappointed but not surprised. Just hope it's not true.....