HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Default lathe choices

With the outfitting of my retirement/hobby shop I will be adding a medium size lathe.

Let me hear what some of you have
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default Re: lathe choices

I have an old south bend heavy 10. I love it and use it often.

Tooling will kill you if have to buy everything new. Most people don't need a taper attachment. However, you should get a good 3-jaw chuck (with inner and outer jaws) and a 4-jaw. Aloris-type tool holders are a must. And you should get a Starrett level to set up the machine.

The ways are critical. Buy a good used machine, but don't settle for crappy ways. Check the run out on the bed and the tail stock alignment before buying. If the runout cannot be corrected within reason, then pass on the machine.

Check out this guy on youtube. Lots of incredibly valuable information. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
older racer

Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

hi, I have a jet 13x 36 . its good quality and works great. a bit bigger might be better, esp if you get a gap bed lathe. lots of sizes out there. good luck.
older racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

I would look for an older Ohio type lathe. A Sydney or a Leblond. You can still adapt the import stuff to them like a 3 jaw Chuck. I would look for a long bed with an 8-inch swing anyway. The import tool bits aren't too bad from MSC Supply for occasional hobby type work. If you find one that's three phase and you don't want that you can just put a 220 motor on it. You just won't be able to reverse it in case you're into cutting reverse threads or something.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,424 Times in 1,952 Posts

A good source for a used lathe without a lot of use is the school systems or a tool room lathe from a company going overseas. Also make sure it will cut inch/metric threads.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suggest Practical Machinist website as a good source of info and used machines ...Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but since I combined my machine shop and race shop, I got some duplicates. email me and let me know. jefft@southlanddodge.com. I have a medium lathe, an old Bridgeport, and I'm not sure what else you might need.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

I can tell you, without a doubt, please do not waste your time with "new" Chinese-made lathes. Resist the temptation to purchase a nice new shiny, pretty painted machine from the multitude of Communist machine peddling companies. The build quality and inability to hold tight tolerances, or make heavy cuts without slop-induced chatter on these machines is well documented... Don't be a sucker... The grizzly chews on wood just fine, but he's not at all up to the task of chewing on steel........

Do you want a hobby lathe to make neat little parts for Radio Control airplanes and cars, or do you want/need a machine to make real parts for real machines? I have both, and indeed, they both have their place.
But before you decide, make sure you know what you are really trying to produce, and how quickly and accurately you need to make it..... Sure you can hold a thou if you creep up on it for the last 10 thou, 1 thou at a time....

But a real machine will take '30 thou cuts, right to the the near end, then finish with a 1-2 thou cut, clean as can be (assuming the part itself isnt flexing).

Spend some time on used equipment sites, auctions, and private listings and find a real, non-third world-made machine, in good shape, and you will have no regrets.

Kevin
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:26 AM   #9
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but since I combined my machine shop and race shop, I got some duplicates. email me and let me know. jefft@southlanddodge.com. I have a medium lathe, an old Bridgeport, and I'm not sure what else you might need.
I would like the Bridgeport but you just to far away, oh well
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts

Jeff, Thanks, I'll get with you at some point.
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote