HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 04-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #41
tomcraig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Tow Hubs

I made a set of tow hubs, and in 1968 towed from Ontario, Can to Dallas Tex. for the Spring Nats. Worked like a charm. Pole welded in the middle of the tow bar for spare slicks.Was younger then and either braver or didnt know any better.
tomcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #42
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, the car is insured and plated as a regular car-- there don't seem to be any rules against flat towing up here. It is rarely done. .I have safety chains, lights etc..I notice that RVs still flat tow a small "around town" car sometimes.
Kris Kristofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #43
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

If your going to do it, you need lights. I had a trailer light plug in the radiator support on my '56, and one on my tow car, with a cable made up that plugged the race car into the tow car. The race car tail, brake & turn signal lights worked off the tow car. Wasn't hard to do. I saw guys put trailer lights in the rear window, on the package tray there. In thought that was kinda ugly myself. Wasn't hard wire it up to use the car's lights. Had to pull the race car's parking light bulbs. Think about it. :-)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #44
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Tow Hubs

I towed my 1969 Corvette H/S stick car with Lakewood tow hubs in 1970. Dickie Estiveze and his brother in law Alfed made me a tow bar with an upward bend to clear the low and long nose on the Vette yet still keep it level when hooked up. It towed great. Just don't get lazy like I did and not install the tow hubs one day after I got beat. Tore the heck out of the M-21 Muncie. It pulled my 66 Grand Prix tow car to a stop and flat spotted my Firestone 7 in slicks in the middle of Rt 301. Live and learn.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #45
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I have the magnetic harbor freight lights..they are linked into the borrowed truck's trailer light circuit. If you look closely at the pic they are there..very dangerous with no trailer lights at night!

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...9626-8847.html
Old 04-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #46
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

I bought a used set of Lakewood tow hubs in 1977,for the 2nd time that we flat towed my 66 Fairlane 390 GTA about an to Mission Raceway, an hour from home. The 1rst time, I had just unhooked the driveshaft, and when I went to bolt it back in after getting to the track, I was shocked at how hot the rearend had gotten after an hour of highway driving. I almost burned my elbow! I guess with 4.56 gears, the pinion was spinning pretty quickly. The tow hubs worked great, but with the Fairlanes narrow wheelwells, I had to use skinny Volkswagen tires, as well as do some hammer work on the wheel well lips, because the hubs were about 3 1/2" wide per side. For lights, we bought some hardware store trailer lights, and mounted them to an old roof rack with suction cups, that we stuck onto the trunk lid. For about 100 bucks (in 1977 dollars), it was a pretty effective tow set up, although it did get interesting in a panic stop situation. Luckily we normally towed using my buddys nearly new 76 Chevy Blazer, I`m sure if I would have used my 57 Ford Sedan Delivery, with its manual drum brakes, there would have been a situation or 2.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #47
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

[QUOTE=Kris Kristofferson;428563]I am probably one of a handful of racers still flat towing in North America..I bought a set of used MNW tow hubs off Craig's list, I got a 5 ft tow bar fabricated for me and a pair of tow tabs.

There is a guy who races in my area and still flat tows his car. He has a'57 Chevy with a stick in it and lives where there is no room for a trailer. It is a 9 second bracket car. I see him once or twice a year and he has had the car for many years.......
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #48
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nice Rich, perhaps there are more out there than I thought! I would rather have a more proper setup like a enclosed trailer but sort of in the same situation as your friend with a '57..