HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 11-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Generator/ Automatic Transfer Switch Problem

My toter was doing fine till I went to winterize it this week. I fired up the Generator and everything was fine. power inside the coach ect.. I ran to town to drain my black and grey water tanks and when I got there the generator was still running but no power to anything inside the coach. What I have found is the transfer switch is not activating. Its getting power from the generator and the green LED is on showing that it is sensing generator power. It just never switches. I used insulated screwdriver and pushed the mechanism in while my wife was inside. And it transferred the power as long as I held it in. Any ideas? Its a 5200 Series Automatic Transfer Switch made by Progressive Dynamics Inc. I looked on their site and they don't have a whole lot as far as troubleshooting info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Generator/ Automatic Transfer Switch Problem

Rob,
The contactor that you pushed in has a coil that is energized to pull the contactor in. It could be as simple as the coil is bad on the contactor, or the transfer board is bad, or a bad connection.
With a multimeter check to see if voltage is present on the contactor coil wires. There should be 2 wires on the contactor that will be energized if the transfer circuit board is working when the generator is proven running.

This link below may be for your system, it may do a better job describing what I attempted above.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/110537%20English.pdf

No power to loads when generator is running:
1. Disconnect Shore Power.
2. Start the generator, measure AC Volts between HOT1 and NEU on the GEN connections, there needs to be voltage
between 105 and 130VAC to energize the contactor. NOTE: there is a 20-45 second delay before the generator transfer
contacts engage. When voltage is present between HOT1 and NEU the green LED on the control board will be
illuminated. If the proper voltage is not present then there is a wiring error between the generator and the transfer
switch or a generator problem.
3. If proper voltage is present at HOT1 and NEU on the GEN side wait 20-45 seconds then measure AC Volts on the
load side between HOT1 and NEU, it should read between 105 and 130VAC. If the voltage is not present and there is
proper voltage on the GEN side the transfer switch is defective.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 506 Posts

I had one go bad in my toter. One thing that will kill them is switching with a load. Turn off the A/C before starting the generator. I carry a large set of wire nuts in my Toter tool box to bypass the transfer switch if it fails. Make sure it is located in a dry compartment. Mine was in a compartment that was leaking and wet. That doesn't help them either. I got that fixed now. They are easy to change out but not cheap.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
JWhalen58

Liked 98 Times in 19 Posts

Rob, went through that a few years ago in a motorhome. Found one online and Drew put it in, it cost about $225 I believe and was just a matter of a few wires to replace. Just another in what seems to be a growing list of items that can go bad in these things.
JWhalen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Thanks guys. I tried to call them but they are closed till after Thanksgiving holidays. It looks like the circuit board is bad in mine. I found one on Ebay. I'm just going to replace it.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote