Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #111
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Cylinder Heads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Jeffery View Post
The basics of Fast stocker cylinder heads are very simple. If you consider each intake port and exhaust port assembly as a orifice you can flow them with a constant draw and establish an effective orifice size. There are endless ways to change or improve flow. The only way to significantly improve flow is to change the effective orifice size of the assembly by porting!
Stop lying to yourselves and Stop pushing NHRA to police something that is out of control. If NHRA were to throw out ALL modified stocker heads the pits would be empty. I know I know it's only the other guys that would stoop to cheating NOT YOU!
Just buy the $1000 cast iron intake and the $3500 heads and have fun like MANY others do. Louis Jeffery

Not true, Louis, my slow E/Stocker would still be there, watching tumbleweeds blow across the staging lanes, as i take a final bye run pass, and pull up to the Winner's Circle to accept my Wally... hehe
Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #112
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

I'm looking at building a "killer?" 318 2bbl combo with the 302 swirl port heads. It sounds like I can use a bowl hog and go all the way down to the valve guides as part of the valve job? Or maybe use a Serdi type cutter with a radius at the bottom of the cutter to open up the bowl as long as it's done all the way around?

When did they get rid of the .250" depth cut limitations? I guess I haven't been paying attention to the rules.

I also saw the 308 360 head was legal but needs to have the smaller 318 valves put into it. I guess with the VJ changes that opens up another possibility with new seats and whatever VJ works. It may not make much difference with the tiny BBD 2bbl carb?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #113
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
Not true, Louis, my slow E/Stocker would still be there, watching tumbleweeds blow across the staging lanes, as i take a final bye run pass, and pull up to the Winner's Circle to accept my Wally... hehe
You would have me there to race Brent.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #114
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Had to revive this post.
It was interesting and no jabs taken.

Saw a web site on a S/SS head machinist named Tommy Sizemore.
Then checked his references on Internet.
Is this guy good or not?
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #115
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Dan,
Define "Good"
He could be called a real "Pillar of Power"

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-26-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #116
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
I'm looking at building a "killer?" 318 2bbl combo with the 302 swirl port heads. It sounds like I can use a bowl hog and go all the way down to the valve guides as part of the valve job? Or maybe use a Serdi type cutter with a radius at the bottom of the cutter to open up the bowl as long as it's done all the way around?

When did they get rid of the .250" depth cut limitations? I guess I haven't been paying attention to the rules.

I also saw the 308 360 head was legal but needs to have the smaller 318 valves put into it. I guess with the VJ changes that opens up another possibility with new seats and whatever VJ works. It may not make much difference with the tiny BBD 2bbl carb?
You just may find that when dealing with seriously restricted combos(I think that a 2V 318 qualifies even though that carb flows more than what I'm used to) you might want to be looking for the smallest runners. Velocity is your friend not necessarily volume. The manufacturers didn't spend lots of time and money coming up with those swirl port heads just as an engineering exercise.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #117
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

Well said Billy.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #118
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
You just may find that when dealing with seriously restricted combos(I think that a 2V 318 qualifies even though that carb flows more than what I'm used to) you might want to be looking for the smallest runners. Velocity is your friend not necessarily volume. The manufacturers didn't spend lots of time and money coming up with those swirl port heads just as an engineering exercise.
Thanks for the advice Billy. Sometimes I wonder if the engineers cared about airflow in the 1950s and 1960s on most engines. I guess the emissions and CAFE standards forced the auto makers to make them more efficient in the 1980s and later. I'm thinking the 273 4bbl combo looks more attractive, basically the same 302 head casting. The 308 head isn't legal on the 273 but is on a 318. Sort of odd, but the 340 intake is legal for the 273 4bbl and apparently so is the old Edelbrock LD4B intake. Maybe that got in via the 1966 D/Dart engine? Now I wish I had that LD4B I bought in 1975 and gave to a friend in the 1980s.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #119
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Dan,
Define "Good"
He could be called a real "Pillar of Power"
Cannot reach him since October.
He has a pair of my heads getting updated.
Tommy Sizemore seems to have fallen of the face of the earth.
D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #120
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Dan,
About the time he disappeared someone on another forum said the State went after him for something about his business.