HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Power glide-no reverse

Just installed a Power Glide in my Camaro that came from a known running Super Stock car. Changed the 2.08 1st gear set to a 1.76 1st gear set before we installed the trans in the car. Installed 6 quarts of trans fluid, it shows full on the stick while running in park, and now there is no reverse. It does have a pro brake valve body. I also tried activating the trans brake button in reverse, but still had no reverse. Tried activating the trans brake in neutral, still nothing. 1st and 2nd gear seem to be working properly. Also, trans brake will not work while in 1st gear. Put it in 1st gear, step on the foot brake to stop the tires from rotating, activate button, let off foot brake and the tires roll forward while pressing the trans brake button. Also tried it while in 2nd gear just to eliminate if it was a reverse pattern valve body, still would not hold when let off on the foot brake. Verified that the trans brake solenoid is in fact working. Remove solenoid, verified that the valve/plunger is moving freely in the housing. Some one said that the input shaft for a 2.08 gear set should not be used with a 1.76 gear set. Is this true? Would this in fact effect reverse not working? I'm stumped on this one. Any suggestions?
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Power glide-no reverse

I've seen where the plunger is there but the solenoid doesn't push it into the valve body far enough. The valvebodies in those thing can shift a bit and be tightened down in various positions which allows this a bit... I also believe that band adjustment comes into play on the TB holding. Have you verified that the band is correctly adjusted. I can't speak about the input issue as I've never run into a 2.08 first gear.
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
NHRA1926

Band adjustment went as follows. Loosened lock nut, turned allen screw clockwise until snug, then turned allen screw counter clockwise 3.5 turns, then tightened lock nut while holding allen screw in place.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

Not all solenoids are the same length.
You have to pull the pan to see if the solenoid is pushing the plunger far enough into the valve body.
Not sure about input shaft and gear set however, that would causing a grinding noise I would think.
Good Luck as I know that can be frustrating.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

The input shafts are different on the two low gear planetary sets. Typically the 1.76 is the large heavy unit. The 2.08 for a super. Stock application would have been built in the smaller 1.82 carrier. The reverse ring gear is also different between the two.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Transmission Specialties makes a "Uni-Shaft" which fits both 1.76 and 1.82 ratio's .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #7
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

On a PG low gear is just the band on . Reverse is just the Reverse clutch on . The transbrake on , is just the band on and the reverse clutch on . Your brake does not work and you have no reverse . I think possibly your Reverse clutch circuit has a big leak in it . That could be reverse piston seals are leaking or possibly the reverse clutch pack has too much clearance and physically can't clamp the clutch plates ,
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

There is a plate behind the govenor support in the back of the case. If it is missing or not in the correct position you have no reverse.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
NHRA1926

Talked to my tranny guy. He said it has a BTE universal input shaft that works with both the 2.08 set and the 1.76 set. He did mention to make sure the plunger is actually traveling the correct distance in the valve body. He said I would have to remove the pan, push the solenoid button manually and watch to see if the plunger is covering the channel completely. He did also mention the plate behind the tail shaft housing. There is supposed to be an aluminum/billet plate installed. If that plate is not there, you won't have reverse. I removed the transmission last night, and will be bringing it to him this weekend. Sure is a whole lot of work just to TRY a power glide in the car. I keep breaking the 400, so I'm finally trying some advise from the local racers and trying a power glide. But I am getting pretty proficient at removing and installing transmissions in the car. All for the love of racing.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
L.Fite

Liked 352 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
Talked to my tranny guy. He said it has a BTE universal input shaft that works with both the 2.08 set and the 1.76 set. He did mention to make sure the plunger is actually traveling the correct distance in the valve body. He said I would have to remove the pan, push the solenoid button manually and watch to see if the plunger is covering the channel completely. He did also mention the plate behind the tail shaft housing. There is supposed to be an aluminum/billet plate installed. If that plate is not there, you won't have reverse. I removed the transmission last night, and will be bringing it to him this weekend. Sure is a whole lot of work just to TRY a power glide in the car. I keep breaking the 400, so I'm finally trying some advise from the local racers and trying a power glide. But I am getting pretty proficient at removing and installing transmissions in the car. All for the love of racing.
Just curious, but if you are breaking Turbo 400s, what makes you think the P.G. will be better?
And why take the 2.08 out and go with 1.76?
How much does car weigh?
How much H.P.?

Inquiring minds would like to know...
L.Fite is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked