HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-05-2024, 04:27 PM   #11
Barry Polley

Liked 554 Times in 229 Posts
Default Re: Lithium battery goes up in smoke at Gainesville….

Jeff Gillette and I talked a while back about building a Steel transport vessel for lithium batteries. Maybe it’s time now.
I think it was 2021, the Lanes heading to Pomona had a battery fire in the trailer. Vette I believe and I think it was Lithium? Maybe they can confirm?
Lithium’s aren’t in a great environment….

Last edited by Barry Polley; 03-05-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-05-2024, 07:35 PM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

I addressed the risks and use of Lithium batteries with NHRA in October 2016. Had a long phone conversation with Bruce Bachelder on the subject and he asked me to provide some technical information so he could share with others at NHRA, which I did a few days later. Of course, nothing came about it.

While still working at Boeing, I was part of the industry team as regards to the Lithium battery fires that took place on the Boeing 787 airplanes. As an outcome of the investigation, there were a lot of changes not only on the battery designs, but also on the provisions and installation.
As an example, we ended designing, manufacturing, and installing a stainless steel box enclosure with a vent to the exterior of the fuselage for venting the fumes on all the 787 airplanes. SInce at the time there were already fires that had taken place at various tracks with Lithium batteries, especially people buying Chinese made cells on eBay and building their own, at the time I suggested consideration to requiring a metal enclosure for Lithium batteries.

Unknown to me at the time was the number of events by various types of Lithium powered devices that had taken place since 1991 through 2016 on commercial flights, with Li-ion, Lithium-ion, Lithium Metal, Lithium Ion/Polymer, and Lithium Sulphur Dioxide batteries.

Let's not forget the number of fires we see all the time on social media of EV's, including a cargo ship fire due to an EV.

If I am going to err, I will err towards safety, especially when you have batteries sitting next to a fuel cell in most cars. Therefore, when I am asked about batteries, I recommend the LifeLine AGM racing batteries, or their Lithium Iron Phosphate battery that also has the BMS protection system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06_787.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	69311   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_787.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	69312   Click image for larger version

Name:	batredesign41.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	69313  

SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 06:38 PM   #13
1legjerry

Liked 59 Times in 9 Posts

I have personnaly seen the aftermath of a old school lead acid battery that exploded when someone was trying to jump start a car in a gas station parking lot. I was a few feet away when it happened. I was not involved. I suspect the guy hooked up the cables wrong or the battery was defective.
1legjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:53 PM   #14
jim reynolds

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I have also exploded a lead acid battery when an alternator died on my work truck and the clerk sold me an internal regulated alternator on a truck that had an exterior voltage regulator from the factory.....had to replace the fender on the truck and paint the other! big mess!
jim reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #15
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

there are those that can break an anvil! Again, acid batteries typically don't go up in smoke resulting in fire and severe damage or loss of your car unlike Lithium batteries which is well documented!

FYI, I have been running a Braille Lithium battery which based on my research is currently the best option, in my dragster since last season.

I made the swap strictly for the 40 lb. weight savings over the XS Power D1600 I had been running.

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-08-2024 at 01:52 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-08-2024, 01:59 PM   #16
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

Have the Lifeline Lithium Ion batteries in my RV, amazing how long they hold a charge and quickly you get them back up to 100%. BMS is a mandatory feature when you’re essentially sleeping right over them.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:56 PM   #17
Cody Lane

Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
Jeff Gillette and I talked a while back about building a Steel transport vessel for lithium batteries. Maybe it’s time now.
I think it was 2021, the Lanes heading to Pomona had a battery fire in the trailer. Vette I believe and I think it was Lithium? Maybe they can confirm?
Lithium’s aren’t in a great environment….
It was an old lead-acid battery that we believe caused the issue.

We actually put lithium batteries into the Corvette after the fire, a new Comp car we are building, and all of the electric race cars we've built.

For those interested, check out Altronics Powerlite lithium batteries as they are incredibly light and reliable; the Battery Management System ensures they cannot overcharge or ignite.

As for transporting lithium batteries.... that's a whole other issue when done in high volume, so I like where your head is at!

Cody Lane
Cody Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-08-2024, 05:36 PM   #18
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Have the Lifeline Lithium Ion batteries in my RV, amazing how long they hold a charge and quickly you get them back up to 100%. BMS is a mandatory feature when you’re essentially sleeping right over them.
Just bought a 200ah battery and 3000 w inverter from them, very nice and 5 year warranty! I researched the safety and the BMS on this product, knowing what could go wrong.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-11-2024, 08:53 AM   #19
FLEMING

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

They are very sensitive to temperature hot or cold.. and vibration, if voltage drops too low they can combust.. I feel like the risk outways the benefit...
FLEMING is offline   Reply With Quote