HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-12-2024, 01:43 PM   #1
Demon340

Liked 94 Times in 24 Posts
Default Heads up class clarification

If class is being run at a Divisional race and there are more than two cars in a particular class, how is it determined who runs whom first round ?
Thanks, Larry
Demon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:58 PM   #2
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Heads up class clarification

Class isn't usually contested at Divisional races. Regardless, who runs who is usually decided in a gentlemanly way by the contestants. If two guys (out of say 5 contestants) want to race each other, they "pair-off" and the remaining 3 guys work out who races who. If there is an uneven number of contestants (like 5, instead of four, six or eight), the fastest guy is often given the bye for the first round.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:11 PM   #3
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Can't speak for other divisions but in Div 6, we had an actual qualifying sheet for class run offs for each of the individual classes.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:21 PM   #4
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon340 View Post
If class is being run at a Divisional race and there are more than two cars in a particular class, how is it determined who runs whom first round ?
Thanks, Larry
Class is run off a sportsman ladder. If there is a bye, it goes to the fastest qualified car in that class.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:36 PM   #5
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,623 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
Class isn't usually contested at Divisional races.
It is in 2024.. The majority of Class Eliminations this year are at Divisionals. …

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 02-12-2024 at 03:01 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:10 PM   #6
JP1738

Liked 259 Times in 84 Posts

Couple of things here given this is semi-related and I don't want to start yet another thread elsewhere:

If I were to run someone in the same class as me, but one is an auto and the other is a stick, is it still heads up? I don't think they run class with each other, but I didn't know how it applied during the race.

Also, where are the procedures for the actual race itself defined? As in, where does it say it's a handicapped start bracket race, must dial at least your index, heads up run if you match up with someone in your same class? I just looked through the rulebook on Stock and it really doesn't describe the actual running of the race with any detail. I understand how the class is run at this point, but I'd love to find an official NHRA resource that describes it more officially that I can point others to who have questions about the class.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
If I were to run someone in the same class as me, but one is an auto and the other is a stick, is it still heads up? I don't think they run class with each other, but I didn't know how it applied during the race.
No, not even in what is considered a class "combo" would a stick and auto car run heads up. If there is only one car in some classes, they run a class "combo," which is heads up, handicapped start based off the indexes of the respective cars. This can be very good fun to watch. As for the other questions you have, on page 1 of section 11A of the rulebook it states "Category is based on a handicap start using the NHRA index
system; breakout rules apply." I have not "mastered" my way around the rulebook, but I'm sure it is spelled out in there somewhere. Also being part of the "slow car" against the index club, take special care to notice your potential first round opponents between qualifying runs. I've noticed a pattern in D1 of where other "F/SA" cars in my case usually end up after being 2/2 for getting a heads up race first round. Personally, I'd rather bracket race a "hitter" first round than have a heads up run with someone that has me covered by half a second, but that's just me.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:04 PM   #8
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
No, not even in what is considered a class "combo" would a stick and auto car run heads up. If there is only one car in some classes, they run a class "combo," which is heads up, handicapped start based off the indexes of the respective cars. This can be very good fun to watch. As for the other questions you have, on page 1 of section 11A of the rulebook it states "Category is based on a handicap start using the NHRA index
system; breakout rules apply." I have not "mastered" my way around the rulebook, but I'm sure it is spelled out in there somewhere. Also being part of the "slow car" against the index club, take special care to notice your potential first round opponents between qualifying runs. I've noticed a pattern in D1 of where other "F/SA" cars in my case usually end up after being 2/2 for getting a heads up race first round. Personally, I'd rather bracket race a "hitter" first round than have a heads up run with someone that has me covered by half a second, but that's just me.
What about the FWD classes that run stick and automatic in the same class ?
Old 02-12-2024, 05:12 PM   #9
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
What about the FWD classes that run stick and automatic in the same class ?
Billy is going to be disappointed when he see's that I forgot about him. I'm not sure about factory stock, being that they don't have separate classes for stick/auto either, but FWD do run together. FWD stick cars must add 100lb to the class weight to make it "even."
Old 02-13-2024, 02:47 PM   #10
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts

There a lot of procedures not mentioned in the rulebook.

When I was writing for Super Stock and researching the nitrous issue, I was lucky enough to come across something I'd never seen. It was an internal NHRA book published for NHRA officials/employees and was never released to the membership. It wasn't on the production level of the rulebook, but just a bunch of typed pages on normal paper. I can't remember if it was bound or just stapled together.

It contained things like what you're wondering about along with a lot more things that covered a lot of race and tech etc, procedures that at the time were what we were all used to but weren't in the rulebook.

I can't remember the title of the thing though something on the order of General Procedures comes to mind. Sadly. it disappeared during a move a long time ago. Wish I still had it and I honestly don't know if such a thing still exists.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked