HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Help with a Stocker

Where are you located? Attend class races in your area, and start asking questions and looking at the cars. You have to own a rule book, read the stock and general sections.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Been said before...buy, don't build.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 AM   #13
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Be aware that the 390 for 1968 doesn`t get to use the aluminum PI intake and larger Holley that the 67 (as well as 66 Fairlane/Comet) do.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Just my opinion, adding I am bias because I am building my own Stocker. If he already has the car isn't that already a great start? I can't imagine you can come across a 67 Mustang real cheap, imagine how much a built 67 Mustang BIG Block Stocker would cost? Probaly real close to that 40K being tossed around. You can buy a built stocker like a Chevy Malibu 305 car maybe for 15K to 20K if you just want to race.

I am not to sure if my ego and pride is in the way of buying a built race car, but personally my check book is in the way- I could not shell out that type of money at once, so that was not an option for me.

I built my 68 Impala in early 2000's costing 15K in parts doing all the work myself. That was a I/S 396/325 that would run .7 under. Car was sold to someone who restored it back to stock (original 427/425 car) I bought all the race parts back including engine, rear for only 3K , so in my case It makes sense. I came across a "body" 1965 Impala for $1000 off of EBAY so in the end I will spend no more than 10K or LESS building this car, the main savings being I do all the work myself. My 65 is in the Build section of forum.

Let us not forget the self satisfaction in building your own car, making that first pass. I remember making my first 11 second pass in my 68 Impala, in a combination everybody said would not work.

Well, I need to get back to work building my racecar, can't spend all day on the internet.

Will Lamprecht 65 Impala in progress. I/SA 396/325
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #15

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No regrets here............I built mine with alot of help from my friends. I bought it as a 100% stock and street legal car, drove it home. I race it most every weekend on pump gas and change to the list legal stuff when racing Stock. If I was to do it all over again, I would build another. In my 40 plus years of racing, this is the most fun I have ever had.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post

Well, I need to get back to work building my racecar, can't spend all day on the internet.

Will Lamprecht 65 Impala in progress. I/SA 396/325
Personal Satisfaction or Instant Gratification, take your pick.
Build your own, take it to the track and see how you compare to your peers or write the check.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Personal Satisfaction or Instant Gratification, take your pick.
Build your own, take it to the track and see how you compare to your peers or write the check.
Amen! It may take awhile, but it makes the racing that much more fun.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

As others said, if the car is very clean and rust free, sell it to a collector and start with something you can buy that is part way toward where you want to be. You can end up with a lot of money in "stock" heads, etc. trying to get those last couple tenths. Check around that the expertise is out there to save yourself expensive development costs. Also, I know of a good stock racer who has put a lot of money into his 69 and still struggles; he did hold the record about 7-8 years ago but all it takes is a killer combination to make all your work ineffective. In his case, it was the HP rating on the Z28 combined with Stock allowed changes that allows them to run 9000 rpm. The situation pretty much ruined D/S for every other combination. Another guy ran an unusual car in D/S and it too has been rendered a garage potato by NHRA's HP factors and their focus on favoring certain combinations rather than actively promoting "diversity."
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote